- Traffic police director, AIGP Dr Steven Kasiima, said they were yet to register traffic mishaps except a few motorcyclists and drivers who were arrested for deviating from the day's traffic flow rules.
By JOSPEH KATO
WAKISO. A total of 19 pilgrims suspected to be cholera patients are under surveillance at Naguru hospital according to Dr John Baptist Waniaye, commissioner for emergency medical services at ministry of health.
By FELIX WAROM OKELLO
Health officials in West Nile have issued an alert following the outbreak of Ebola outbreak in neighboring DR Congo that has killed 17 people.
The officials said there should be screening of those crossing from DR Congo to Uganda but the porous borders with numerous illegal entry points pose a danger to the local communities.
The Acting Hospital Director Arua Regional Referral Hospital, Dr Alex Adaku, said an infection, prevention and emergency response committee has been formed to handle any emergency cases.
By PATRICK EBONG ALEBTONG. The Ministry of Health has announced an outbreak of measles in 26 districts across the country. Health minister Jane Aceng named the most affected districts as Amuru in northern Uganda, and Kamuli, Mbale, and Butebo in the east of the country.
She said government, in collaboration with development partners, would carry out mass immunisation of all children under five years against the disease.
- Ms Opendi said the government has secured a cholera vaccine that is already being administered to children aged one year and above in Hoima and Kyegegwa districts.
- Recently, cholera broke out in refugee settlement camps of Kyangwali in Hoima District and Kyaka II in Kyegegwa District.
By EMMANUEL AINEBYOONA The Ministry of Health has indicated that it has not registered any new cholera case in Kampala apart from the seven cases currently receiving treatment at Naguru hospital.
According to Mr Elimu, the disease could have crossed into Amudat from the neigbouring Kenyan village of Kamketo.
He said, the disease got an advantage to spread very fast due to low latrine coverage and poor water systems in the Sub County.
By Steven Ariong
Cholera outbreak in Amudat District in Karamoja sub region, north eastern Uganda has so far claimed two lives while 48 are currently receiving treatment at Amudat health center IV.
By MISAIRI THEMBO KAHUNGU
The Ministry of Health yesterday confirmed the outbreak of cholera in Makindye Division in Kampala. The minister of State for Primary Health Care, Ms Sarah Opendi, told Sunday Monitor that by Friday, four people with signs of cholera had been admitted to the hospital.
“It is confirmed and four people were admitted at Naguru hospital by yesterday (Friday). One has been confirmed and the rest are probable. They are all from Makindye Division in Kampala,” Ms Opendi said.
Stephen Maniraguha, a resident of Mulago II Ward in Kamwokya says that the recurrent weather conditions are threatening public health in several homes around slums in Kampala as a result of blocked drainage systems, poor sanitation and hygiene.
While the onset of season-long rains brought relief to drought-hit areas of Uganda, slum dwellers in Kampala are struggling to cope with constant floods and sewage runoffs.
Residents have been encouraged to boil water before drinking, eat warn food, wash hands before and after eating, avoid fetching water from swamps/rivers, avoid eating foods or drinking juices sold on roadsides, embrace good pit-latrines practices.
By MUDANGHA KOLYANGHA
By Lilian Namagembe
Kampala - The government move to grant districts the mandate to manage indoor residual spraying (IRS) exercise intended to get rid of malaria has saved government billions of shillings as opposed to implementation of the exercise through partners, officials have revealed.
By MUDANGHA KOLYANGHA & YAHUDU KITUNZI
Health officials in Butebo and Mbale Districts have announced an outbreak of Measles.
The acting Butebo District Health Officer, Dr Nathan Tibako, said on Tuesday that the airborne disease had been confirmed in 44 people after laboratory tests were done in February this year.
KAMPALA - The onset of the first rainy season that started a week ago has left Kawempe hospital flooded and patients scattering for their lives.
The Thursday downpour, flooded the private wing of the hospital.
Constructed at an estimated cost of $11.3 million (about Shs40.6 billion), with funding from the African Development Bank and the Nigeria Trust Fund, the 170 bed hospital with a private wing was opened in 2016 to host Mulago National Referral Hospital's gynaecology and obstetric department during its renovation and thereafter decongest it.
- Hoima District secretary of education and health, Mr Mugenyi Mulindambura asked the central government to use a multi sectoral approach in mitigating the cholera outbreak.
Cholera has killed 29 people in Hoima District, medical officers have confirmed.
The cholera outbreak was last week confirmed to have hit Congolese refugees in Kyangwali settlement camp who fled from fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
"The District Chairperson of Nakaseke cannot announce the outbreak. Wait for a statement from the Ministry of Health Tomorrow regarding the issue you have raised," Opendi who did not deny or confirm the reported case of CCHF disease in Nakaseke told the Daily Monitor on Phone.
On September 8 2017, cases of the CCHF disease were confirmed in Nakaseke District where an isolation centre was put up to manage the emergencies.
By TOM BRIAN ANGURINI
Anemia. According to the report findings, levels of anemia were recorded at 53 per cent among children aged between six and 59 months, of which 54 per cent of these were in rural areas and 48 per cent in urban areas with variations in different regions.
Kampala. A new study commissioned by civil society has revealed that the country is facing biting hunger and malnutrition.
By David Mafabi
KAMPALA. Uganda has been placed on high alert as the Ministry of Health investigates and monitors suspected cases of the deadly Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever in the central districts of Kiboga and Nakaseke.
On August 20, the ministry received blood samples of two patients from Kiboga and Nakaseke hospital suspected Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever (CCHF).
According to an August 21 statement signed by the acting Director General, health services Dr Anthony Mbonye, the two victims tested positive to Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever [CCFH].
By SIMON PETER EMWAMU
In Summary: Call for action: Touring the district at the weekend, the State Minister for Teso Affairs demanded that the government embarks on mass vaccination against the disease, which has been ignored since 2009.
The State Minister for Teso Affairs, Ms Christine Amongin, has asked the government to start a massive vaccination against Hepatitis B, a disease that has claimed several lives in the region since 2009.
By Stephen Otage
Health: The report blames foreign aid as the major blame to government’s laxity.
Uganda’s immunisation coverage remains low compared to other East African countries, with experts now calling for a better plan to address the gap.
A report by the advisory committee on vaccines and immunisation of the Uganda National Academy of Science (UNAS) shows that in the 1990s, Uganda had one of the most successful immunisation programmes in East and sub- Saharan Africa.
By MARTIN OKUDI & FELIX WAROM OKELLO
In Summary - The structure for the nurse’s training school was established in 1957 but was abandoned in 1972 after commissioning of Moyo hospital.
Health workers in the Madi sub-region have asked government to consider the need for setting up a nursing training school in Moyo District.
LUWEERO authorities are on high alert following the death of two members of the same family due to the deadly hemorraghic Ebola fever in Nyimbwa sub-county over the last few days.
This latest incidence happened in Sombwe Parish about 40km north of Kampala. Joseph Okware, the Luwero District Health Officer Wednesday confirmed that the dead are members of the same family. He said Gladys Namakula and Rehemah Najjemba of Kikyusa village died and were buried on 10th and 12th respectively.
By Nicholas Kalungi & Dan Wandera, Ronald Tumusiime, Sarah Tumwebaze & Stephen Otage (email the author)
Posted Monday, August 6 2012 at 01:00
The Ministry of Health yesterday said the country is not yet free from Ebola and asked the public to adhere to the recommended preventive measures in order to safe guard against the deadly disease, which has so far claimed 16 lives and dozens admitted to hospitals.