- During the Epidemiological week 52, 2009, four alerts, two for suspected measles, one for suspected H1N1 and one for suspected acute flaccid paralysis received and responded accordingly.
- During the week, 406 health facilities reported 130,224 patient consultations through the DEWS network
- Acute Respiratory Tract Infections (ARI) continues to be the leading cause of morbidity, with a total of 46,148 consultations (35% of total consultations) in the IDP hosting and conflict affected districts of NWFP.
- Acute Diarrhoea reported in 7,693 (6%) of the total …
Addis Ababa, December 24, 2009 (Addis Ababa) - Ministry of Health handed over on Thursday seven vehicles, which were secured from UNICEF, to Health Bureau of the Somali State.
Handing over the donation, UNICEF representative said the UN agency will remain an active partner of the ministry and health bureaus of the regional states.
The vehicles will contribute a lot in expanding movable healthcare services across the regional state, the representative said, adding UNICEF will continue assisting the region toward improve health service provisions.
Speaking at the occasion, director …
DATE: 24 December 2009, 10:00 PM
Sources: DOST PHIVOLCS, DSWD, DON, DepEd, OCDRC-V, ALBAY PDCC, AFP, JTF MAYAN, DPWH V
I. SITUATION OVERVIEW
- Mayon Volcano is still under Alert Level 4. To ensure the safety of the public, PHIVOLCS-DOST is reiterating that the Extended Danger Zone from the summit of 8 km at the southern sector of the volcano and 7 km at the northern sector should be free from human activity.
Nearly 50,000 Filipinos evacuated from their homes in the shadow of the Mount Mayon volcano will receive some holiday cheer from WFP on Thursday, when packages of high energy biscuits arrive in evacuation centres set up by the government.
MANILA - WFP has sent a total of 20 metric tons of high energy biscuits to assist people forced to leave their homes by the Mount Mayon volcano in the northern Philippine island of Luzon.
SELEBI PHIKWE - Limited access to information on the prevention of HIV/AIDS puts remote area dwellers at risk of contracting the virus, participants at the World AIDS Day commemoration in Selebi-Phikwe observed recently.
The event was organised by Selebi Phikwe DMSAC and Kagiso/ Sesame Ward Multi-Sectoral Aids Committee (WMSAC), in collaboration with the towns AIDS coordinating office.
A Community Conversation Enhancement Programme (CCEP) was used to engage the community to discuss the theme of the event.
Discussing the theme: Universal Access and Human Rights, participants said …
Project HOPE responded to the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami by sending millions of dollars worth of medicines and medical supplies, and hundreds of volunteer doctors and nurses to provide primary care to those suffering in the devastated region. But the help did not end there. In 2005, Project HOPE began several projects to address health needs in the tsunami affected areas. In 2007, the United Kingdom's Big Lottery Fund provided funding to Project HOPE to conduct a five-year program to improve the health of women, infants and children in Nagan Raya.
By Liz O'Neill
When the tsunami struck on December 26, 2004, Aceh, Indonesia was hit first and hit hardest. Catholic Relief Services was on the ground quickly, distributing desperately needed items such as food, tents and essential hygiene kits to nearly 250,000 people.
KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of the Congo, December 24 (UNHCR) - About to give birth to her first child, Clementine Uwimana, a 30-year-old Rwandan refugee walked to the nearest hospital, just five minutes from her home in the Congolese capital. But when complications meant she had to head to a major referral hospital, St.
Bouaké, le 24 décembre 2009...
This report covers the period 1 July 2009 to 31 December 2009.
Programme purpose: The purpose of disaster management is to reduce the number of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
The overall purpose of the health and care programme is to improve the Indian Red Cross Society's (IRCS) capacity in planning to raise awareness on the preventive health needs and responding to public health emergencies, including HIV/AIDS, through prevention, care and support by strengthening the Red Cross volunteer (RCV) network.
IRCS has improved capacity to provide effective …
Les communes de Ngozi et Busiga sont les plus menacées avec 52 et 40 personnes déjà mortes de paludisme depuis octobre 2009.
This report covers the period 01 July to 31 December 2009.
- Improve the health status of vulnerable people in targeted areas.
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Promote respect for diversity and human dignity, and reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion.
- Enhance the service delivery capacity of Afghan Red Crescent Society (ARCS) at all levels.
The major activities during the reporting period include the following:
Disaster management: The disaster management …
Funcionarios y autoridades de la XVIII Región Sanitaria trabajan en conjunto con representantes de la Municipalidad, de la Cruz Roja Paraguaya y el SENEPA, tanto en el área de vigilancia como en la capacitación y la concienciación.
El Ministerio de Salud Pública y Bienestar Social (MSPyBS), a través de la XVIII Región Sanitaria - Asunción (XVIII R.S.), continúa con los trabajos de prevención y control del Dengue en la ciudad capital.
Entre las actividades realizadas, se encuentra la reunión mantenida con el comité de vigilancia epidemiológica de la Cruz Roja Paraguaya para la …
Ce bulletin couvre la période allant du 16 au 22 décembre 09. Le prochain bulletin sera publié le 30 décembre 09
- La situation sécuritaire dans le sud de la province demeure préoccupante ;
- Les mouvements des populations se poursuivent dans les territoires de Fizi et Shabunda.
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The 2010 Iraq Humanitarian Action Plan (IHAP) is a continuation of the inter-agency consolidated appeal process launched for Iraq in 2008 and expanded to Iraq and the Region in 2009. The 2010 IHAP is a joint humanitarian strategy for Iraq in 2010. It is not characterised as a consolidated appeal per se, in that it is not accompanied by detailed project proposals (although it is intended to facilitate fund-raising for humanitarian operations in the country).
THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION,
Having regard to the Treaty on Functioning of the European Union,
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC) No.1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid , and in particular Article 2 and Article 15(2) thereof;
(1) The El Niño phenomenon has led to a serious lack of rainfall and, hence, drought in Guatemala, particularly in the eastern part of the country.
GLIDE no. FL-2009-000172-BFA
Period covered by this Ops Update: 03 October to 23 December 2009
Appeal target: This operation is still seeking for CHF 2,113,583 but now to support 3,500 families instead of 5,000.
December 23, 2009, SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - When the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami struck Southeast Asia on December 26, 2004, the results were horrific, the devastation complete. An estimated 1.69 million people were left homeless, close to 230,000 people were killed and over 45,000 are still missing.
Main developments in the past 24 hours
- Reminder of schedules for ECDC Daily Update and WISO for Holiday period;
- WHO update: Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 briefing note 20
- Swedish vaccination coverage estimated at 61 per cent, may exceed 70
- European Medicines Agency report to be released on the 23rd of December
- A total of 1 702 fatal cases in Europe and EFTA countries and 10 496 in the rest of the world have been
This report is based on official information provided by national public health websites or through other official communication channels.
There is little information about height and weight status of Palestinian adolescents. The objective of this paper was to assess the prevalence of stunting, underweight, and overweight/obesity among Palestinian school adolescents (13-15 years) and associated sociodemographic factors in 2 major governorates in the West Bank.
A Cross-sectional survey was conducted in 2005 comprising 1942 students in 65 schools in Ramallah and Hebron governorates. Data was collected through self-administered questionnaires from students and parents.