The purpose of the Road Map is to demonstrate the commitment of IFRC in Africa to realizing its ambitious plans to accompany National Societies in their development and delivery of services. The Road Map is not a strategic or operational plan. It summarizes the rationale for its strategic and operational plans and provides key milestones on the way to success. The Road Map compliments the IFRC’s Global Strategy 2020 and aligns its contributions in Africa to the SDGs.
(Kinshasa, 18 January 2018) The dramatic deterioration of the humanitarian situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2017 has forced humanitarian actors to launch an appeal for USD 1.68 billion for 2018, the largest ever funding appeal for the country where 13.1 million people require humanitarian assistance.
This update provides a summary of recent displacement, along with developments from the UNHCR co-led Sector/Clusters of Protection, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter/Non Food Items (SNFI).
KEY DISPLACEMENT STATISTICS (AS OF 9 JANUARY 2018)
FOOD SECURITY SNAPSHOT
Late and poorly-distributed rain lead to reduced harvest
Restricted production outlook to result in worsening food security situation Late and poorly-distributed rain to lead to reduced harvest
In December 2017, fighting between the government and the opposition forces was reported in Koch and Bieh (Unity), and in Raja (Western Bahr el Ghazal), displacing thousands of people. During the armed clashes on Raja-Wau road on 16 December, armed groups held six aid workers from two national and international agencies and displaced thousands of people from their homes to Wau town.
• Heavy rains are impacting the northern parts of Mozambique.
• More than 22,000 people have been affected by heavy rainfall in Nampula province.
• Very strong rains, temporarily accompanied by severe thunderstorms and winds, are expected to continue.
La Coordinación Nacional de Protección Civil de la Secretaría de Gobernación dio a conocer hoy el aviso de término de la Declaratoria de Emergencia que se emitió el pasado 28 de diciembre de 2017
The number of humanitarian access incidents reported in December (111) was higher than in November (103), sustaining an increased average number of monthly incidents (111) reported in the second half of 2017. About 42 per cent of the incidents involved violence against humanitarian personnel and assets, while 33 per cent included operational inference, among the highest percentages in the year.
Written by International Medical Corps Despite international commitment to end hunger once and for all, hundreds of millions of people still lack sufficient access to proper nutrition. The situation is particularly challenging in developing nations, where more than 13 percent of a countries’ total population go hungry.
Conflict erupted after disputed March 2016 elections
Government cracked down on a former militia called the Ninjas
IRIN gained exclusive access to the conflict zone in the southern Pool region
Government helicopters bombed village after village that now lie empty
Next-to-no humanitarian access has been granted to the region
Crisis has been overshadowed by bigger regional emergencies
• Wheat: The current average wheat price in main cities’ markets of Afghanistan (AFN 23.7/Kg) is negligibly lower by 0.2% compared to the same time last year (December 2016) and negligibly higher by 1.1% compared to the last 5-year average price of the same months (Decembers 2012 - 2016).
A. Introduction / Humanitarian situation
FATA remains one of the least developed regions in Pakistan having experienced man-made, as well as natural disasters for many years. From 2008 to 2014more than 5 million people were displaced from the FATA due to the security operations by the military against non-state armed groups.
Bangui, January 18, 2018 - Again, civilians in Central African Republic are paying a heavy price in clashes between armed groups. since the end of December 2017, fighting between armed movements Revolution Justice (RJ) and the Mouvement de la libération de la Centrafrique (MNLC) in the North and East of Paoua town (Prefecture of Ouham Pendé in the North of the country), has displaced more than 60,000 people. An unknown number of people have sought refuge in the bush while another 15,000 from the town of Markounda and its environment have crossed the border to Chad.
Préfecture de l’Ouham / Sous-préfecture de Batangafo / Batangafo et les axes
À LA UNE
INVESTIR POUR LES ENFANTS : UN IMPÉRATIF MORAL ET UNE NÉCESSITÉ ÉCONOMIQUE • GEERT CAPPELAERE
• About 2,500 people were assisted to return to Turba village, South Darfur from Shangil Tobay IDP camp, North Darfur.
• People flee East Jebel Marra due to internal fighting within the SPLA-AW and arrive in Otash IDP camp, South Darfur.
• The VRRC replaces HAC in coleading the RRR sector in West Darfur.
• AWD cases continue to decline, according to the Ministry of Health.
• SHF announces US$3 million as the first standard allocation of funds for 2018.
By Benson Rioba
MARSABIT, Kenya, Jan 18 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Widow Ahatho Turuga lost 20 of her goats to drought early last year, but the shopkeeper is planning to reinvest in her herd once she has saved enough money.
"I think I will start with four goats and see how it goes," she said, rearranging soap on the upper shelf of her shop in Loglogo, a few kilometres from Marsabit town.
Improved market supply of locally produced food staples from the recently completed harvest has contributed to widespread decrease in the prices of food items and brought about a reduction in the cost of the Survival Minimum Expenditure basket by 5.5% percent in the markets of Maiduguri and 14.4 percent in Damaturu.
• Conflict, hunger and diseases, among other factors, forced more than 700,000 people to flee South Sudan as refugees to neighbouring countries in 2017.
• In 2017 over 1,159 humanitarian access incidents were reported by humanitarian actors in South Sudan, indicative of increasingly difficult times for aid workers in the country.
• Humanitarian partners working in Malakal PoC site in Upper Nile are stepping up response activities to address the incidence of people attempting suicide.