A new tide gauge worth AUD $600,000 was officially commissioned yesterday at Tanoa International Dateline Hotel, the Prime Minister of Tonga Hon. Samuela ‘Akilisi Pohiva.
The new station at Vuna Wharf was built to withstand cyclone conditions and can last up to 20 years or longer with good maintenance. The equipement expected to record tides, weather and land movement.
Warmer temperatures and increased rainfall can pose threats to our livelihoods and health by impacting the quality of water we drink, the food we consume, and the weather we experience.
But there are also vector-borne diseases (carried by mosquitoes and other insects), and water-borne bacteria and viruses, that become prevalent during periods of high and low rainfall, which pose great health risks to local populations. For example, increased risks of contracting dengue fever, chikungunya, malaria, and other diseases.
16.619 MT of food assistance distributed
USD 334,499 cash based transfers made
USD 115.66 m total requirements
27,799 people assisted in September 2018
• WFP is supporting the Government’s humanitarian assistance through the distribution of vouchers to severely drought-affected households of the Honduran Dry Corridor. In the following months, the 65,500 most affected households will be assisted in 74 municipalities.
US$ 638,791 cash-based transfers made
US$ 3.83 m six months (October 2018-March 2019) net funding requirements
39,086 people assisted in September 2018
• WFP’s provided attention to 22,950 vulnerable people on the move. As the Venezuelan migration crisis continues, the majority of people assisted are Venezuelans (76.6 percent), followed by Colombians (22.6 percent) and 0.8 percent of other nationalities.
BERLIN, 16 October 2018 - Eleven heads of the world’s leading health and development organizations today signed a landmark commitment to find new ways of working together to accelerate progress towards achieving the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Coordinated by the World Health Organization, the initiative unites the work of 11 organizations, with others set to join in the next phase.
42.5 mt of food assistance distributed
USD 12.7 m total requirements
20, 215 people assisted in August 2018
• WFP is supporting national priorities to enhance the sustainability of social safety nets for vulnerable groups (children, pregnant and lactating women, and the elderly), providing regular and specialised nutritious foods.
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, October 16, 2018 – The World Bank is looking to extend support of up to $500 million to the Government of Kerala’s comprehensive flood recovery efforts and to build greater resilience to future shocks. The support is subject to Government of India’s formal request and will have to be approved by the World Bank Board of Governors.
As an immediate step, the Bank is ready to reallocate up to $55 million from within its current portfolio of projects in India to support the state’s reconstruction investments.
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, October 16, 2018 Office of Press Relations
Telephone: +1.202.712.4320 | Email: email@example.com
October 15, 2018
• The Uganda Ministry of Health and partners have intensified preparedness and response interventions following a confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease in Tchomia health zone, near Lake Albert where the Democratic Republic of the Congo borders with Uganda.
• Over 2,200 reports and questions on Ebola were received via SMS from U-Reporters. Most U-Reporters confirmed that they had heard about Ebola through radio, television, community awareness campaigns and posters.
By Rahul Sengupta
Bonn, 12 October 2018 – A number of partners have expressed the need for a common platform for reporting regional progress through the online Sendai Framework monitoring system.
The call came at a recent meeting, organized by UNISDR with the support from the Government of Germany, to bring together the major regional Inter-Governmental Organizations (IGOs) working on disaster risk reduction from across the world and select Member States to share their national perspectives.
With more than two-thirds of all countries in the Eastern Mediterranean Region directly or indirectly affected by political conflict, natural disasters and other public health threats, emergencies is high on this year’s agenda for the 65th session of the Regional Committee.
Nairobi/Tunis, 16 October 2018—Communities in Africa and in the Middle East are facing some of the most challenging humanitarian conditions of the 21st century. The situation is likely to worsen unless governments review their policies to empower communities and local humanitarian actors to better prepare for and respond to disasters.
Este protocolo de actuación para protección social frente a choques climáticos es una herramienta de planificación y establecimiento de procedimientos para las actuaciones del Gabinete de Coordinación de Políticas Sociales (GCPS), incluyendo las actuaciones especiales del programa Progresando con Solidaridad (PROSOLI), el Sistema de Único de Beneficiarios (SIUBEN), los Centros Tecnológicos Comunitarios (CTC) y la Administradora de Subsidios Sociales (ADESS), frente a eventos críticos asociados a emergencias o desastres socionaturales, con énfasis a eventos climáticos extremos, más …
NGERULMUD, PALAU (16 October 2018) — The Asian Development Bank’s (ADB) Board of Directors has approved a $15 million policy-based loan to help strengthen Palau’s resilience to disasters by providing a predictable and quick-disbursing source of financing for early response, recovery, and reconstruction activities in the country.
Today on Vuna Wharf in the Tongan capital of Nukuʻalofa, the Honourable Prime Minister of Tonga Samiuela ‘Akilisi Pohiva officially commissioned a new Pacific Sea Level and Geodetic Monitoring station, which will provide high quality sea level, climate, and positioning information to support better coastal planning and preparedness.
P-au-P, 12 oct. 2018 [AlterPresse]--- Le Collectif des organisations de défense des droits des migrants et rapatriés (Coddemir) exhorte l’Etat à garantir une prévention efficace des risques des catastrophes naturelles dans le pays.
Dans une note dont a pris connaissance l’agence en ligne AlterPresse, le Coddemir demande aux autorités d’assurer la protection des vies et des biens des citoyens, à l’occasion de la journée mondiale de la prévention des catastrophes naturelles, le vendredi 12 octobre.
15 OCTOBRE 2018
Medida de prevención se adopta ante proximidad de la temporada de lluvias
Ante la proximidad de la temporada de lluvias, el Gobierno Regional de Huánuco, por medio de la Oficina de Defensa Civil, inició las labores de limpieza de la ribera del río Huallaga a la altura de Pacán, informó hoy el Centro de Operaciones de Emergencia Nacional (COEN).
Personal de Defensa Civil descolmató el río para que los caudales máximos circulen sin desbordarse y con una mayor velocidad y, de esta manera, evitar eventos adversos.
- Affected population 7.95 m
- MAM 370,00 m
- SAM 416,000 # of people displaced due to conflict 2.2 m
- # of people displaced due to climatic shocks 0.5 m
- US$1.494 billion (Requirement for the 2nd half of 2018 Ethiopia Humanitarian and Disaster Resilience Plan)
- Funding shortfall: US$416.4 million
US$ 416.4 million urgently required to cover needs until the end of the year