18,481 Refugees’ children receiving Vitamin A in Upper Nile during the reporting period.
6,883 Refugees received ID cards in Upper Nile during the reporting period.
304 Unaccompanied Children placed under foster care during the reporting period.
INSIDE SOUTH SUDAN
278,965 Refugees in South Sudan as of 31 October 2017.
What lessons are there on what has made mixed humanitarian coordination models (with two or multiple coexisting lead agencies) most successful?
What lessons have we learnt about supporting the capacity of host governments and local authorities to lead on and coordinate a response to large-scale and/or protracted refugee or displacement response?
This Briefing Kit is intended to provide basic information on coordination structures and processes for newly arriving partners and their staff. In most cases, more detailed information is available by following the links provided. This Kit is limited in scope to inter-agency coordination within the refugee response. It does not cover the Government’s procedures and structures, beyond its leadership in the response.
Cox’s Bazar – Over the past few weeks, International Humanitarian Partnerships (IHP), with support from IOM, the UN Migration Agency, has been building a coordination hub for the Rohingya refugee crisis response in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
The hub will provide workspace for approximately 50 aid workers, meeting rooms and internet connectivity close to the refugee settlements. This will enhance the humanitarian community’s ability to coordinate effectively in the field.
14 Partners in 18 Districts as of July 15th, 2017
Situation in numbers
+357,000 estimated # of children in need of immediate assistance in Cuba, ECA, Haiti and Dominican Republic.
+39,000 children in need of immediate assistance in ECA, with 20,000 children affected by Hurricane Maria in Dominica.
56% children remain out of school in Dominica.
The auxiliary role provides essential space for dialogue and mutually beneficial relations between National Societies and public authorities. This Guide to the Auxiliary Role is designed to help external actors, particularly public authorities, develop their understanding of the auxiliary role and strategies to enhance their partnerships with National Societies.
Over 600,000 Rohingya refugees fled Rakhine State in Myanmar, reaching Bangladesh by land, boat, and increasingly, makeshift rafts made of bamboo and jerry cans.
Newly arrived refugees are settling in and around existing camps and among host communities, stretching already limited resources.
UNHCR is supporting the Government of Bangladesh to receive, assist and protect newly arrived refugees and support host communities.
EU Civil Protection Mechanism (EUCPM)
Upon request of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), the EU Civil Protection Mechanism was activated on 27 October. Sweden, together with its International Humanitarian Partnership (IHP) partners Denmark, Estonia, Luxembourg and the UK, offered camp facilities for a coordination hub of up to 50 people. This coordination hub will enable a greater humanitarian presence and will expand the reach of humanitarian activities provided by partners to the affected refugee population in Cox's Bazar area.
• The IOM DTM Round XIX (October 2017) estimates that a total of 1.57 million people are still internally displaced across the three north east states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, of whom 85 per cent are in Borno alone. Children represent 56 per cent of the total IDP population.
• With the launch of the school enrolment drive in the north east, a total number of 120,010 children were enrolled in safe learning spaces in Adamawa and Borno within the reporting period.
• The IOM DTM Round XIX (October 2017) estimates that a total of 1.57 million people are still internally displaced across Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States, of whom 85 per cent are in Borno alone. Children represent 56 per cent of the total IDP population.
• As of 15th October, the cumulative number of suspected cholera cases reported stands at 4,936 with 61 deaths (CFR = 1.25 per cent). Though the reporting period witnessed a significant decrease in cases, UNICEF continues to support cholera control efforts in all the identified hotspots.
• As winter approaches, continued hostilities and indicators of deliberate targeting of strategic pipelines and water treatment facilities in South Donbass put the lives of almost 1.2million people, including 220,000 children, at risk.
• To ensure continued access to learning in the conflict-affected area, UNICEF provided education and early childhood kits to over 13,000 children in the non-government controlled areas.
Seven (7) new cases of cVDPV2 were reported this week— three (3) cases from Mayadeen and four (4) from Boukamal district, Deir Ez-Zor governorate. The most recent case (by date of onset) is 9 September 2017 from Mayadeen district
The total number of confirmed cVDPV2 cases is 70
Outbreak response teams are planning a third mass immunization round to reach children under 5 with mOPV2 in areas where evidence of virus transmission continues
New national policy helps refugees legally document life events, including births, deaths, marriages and divorces.
73,857 South Sudanese refugees have been registered in Ethiopia since 1 January. The majority have reportedly fled conflicts.
Refugees in Addis Ababa continue to be L3 registered. This will allow them to better access rights in line with the NY Declaration.
Update On Achievements