This issue covers the period from November 2010 to May 2011. Its special focus is on climate change and climate variability and how these affect food and nutrition security and aggravate the problems of hunger and undernutrition. This edition aims to provide some basic understanding of the ways that climate change exacerbates humanitarian crises and to contribute to the debate about how to face this challenge.
• Introduction: food and nutrition security in West Africa: opportunities and challenges 1
• Soaring food prices, climate change and bioenergy: new challenges for food security and nutrition 2
• Collaborating on nutrition and food security: Implications for the health and agriculture sectors 7
• Capacity development: challenges and opportunities 11
• Implications of a resilient and sustainable smallholder food production system in West Africa on food security, nutrition and health of the population 14