A PROGRESSIVE APPROACH TO SOLUTIONS
Multi-Year and Multi-Partner Pilots
Snapshot 13-19 August
Yemen: The 9 August Al Jawf ceasefire has been broken. Access to people affected by the conflict in Al Jawf is extremely limited due to persistent insecurity, and it is very difficult to obtain information. Almost 3,000 people have died in violence since the National Dialogue Conference took place on 25 January.
Snapshot 16–22 July
oPT: 583 have been reported killed and over 100,000 displaced since Operation Protective Edge began on 8 July. There are urgent needs for essential drugs, shelter, water, and food assistance in the Gaza Strip, requiring greater humanitarian space.
“I see Africa as a fundamental part of our interconnected world – as partners with America on behalf of the future we want for all our children. That partnership must be grounded in mutual responsibility and mutual respect.”
President Barack Obama
July 11, 2009,
• Introduction: food and nutrition security in West Africa: opportunities and challenges 1
• Soaring food prices, climate change and bioenergy: new challenges for food security and nutrition 2
• Collaborating on nutrition and food security: Implications for the health and agriculture sectors 7
• Capacity development: challenges and opportunities 11
• Implications of a resilient and sustainable smallholder food production system in West Africa on food security, nutrition and health of the population 14