Arusha, December 5, 2014 (FH) – International Criminal Court (ICC) Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said Friday she is withdrawing charges against Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta for lack of enough solid evidence.
The Prosecutor said the evidence “had not improved to such an extent that Mr Kenyatta's alleged criminal responsibility can be proven beyond reasonable doubt”.
Kenyatta, the first sitting head of state to appear before the international court, was charged with crimes against humanity committed in violence that followed elections at the end of 2007.
The Hague, July 6, 2011 (FH) - Kenya has just conveyed to the International Criminal Court (ICC) its first investigation report on post-elections violence which happened in December 2007.
ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo had been allowed to take over the Kenyan case on March 31, 2010, after the Kenyan parliament failed to set up a special tribunal to judge six high Kenyan officials.