Le magazine d'aujourd'hui, s’intéresse au projet de soins spécialisé de la Fondation Terre des Hommes qui vient en aide aux enfants soufrant de maladies du cœur dont le traitement exige une évacuation.
Trois de ces enfants ont été évacués en Suisse pour recevoir des soins appropriés. Le magazine «Tous les Enfants du Mali » est présenté par Mahamane Almaimoune et Imirana Kilou Maiga.
Arusha, May 21, 2015 (FH) – Torture, muffling victims’ cries of pain, removing their bodies in the night: these are some of the accusations against the youth of the ruling party in Burundi. The warning comes in a letter signed by prominent civil society and political figures, including two former presidents.
Arusha, May 8, 2015 (FH) – The crimes against humanity trial of former Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo and former Youth Minister Charles Blé Goudé is to start on November 10, the International Criminal Court (ICC) announced.
The November 10 hearing will be only to hear the opening statements of the parties and participants, according to a Court statement on Thursday. The prosecution will start presenting its evidence in January 2016, “at a date to be confirmed”.
Geneva/Monrovia March 12, 2015 (FH) – Recent arrests of two Liberian war crimes suspects in Belgium and Switzerland are historic, says a lawyer defending victims. They have also reignited debate in Liberia over justice for the victims of that country’s civil war.
Arusha, March 10, 2015 (FH) – An Abidjan court has sentenced former Ivorian First Lady Simone Gabgbo to 20 years in jail, whereas the prosecutor had only asked for 10 years. She was charged with crimes committed during post-election violence in 2010-2011, including undermining state security.
Arusha, March 9, 2015 (FH) – Human rights organizations have filed a war crimes complaint before a Bamako investigating judge on behalf of 33 victims in the north of the country, the International Federation of Human Rights (FIDH) has announced.
The complaint identifies fifteen people suspected of committing war crimes and crimes against humanity when armed groups occupied Timbuktu and its surrounding region in 2012 and 2013, says a communiqué published Friday.
Bangui, February 25, 2015 (FH) – Victims of the Lord’s Resistance Army in the Central African Republic are urging the International Criminal Court to include crimes committed in their country in its case against former LRA commander Dominic Ongwen.
The LRA committed serious crimes in the CAR as well as in Ongwen’s home country of Uganda. Ongwen has been in ICC detention since last month, but his case concerns only crimes committed in Uganda before 2005. His confirmation of charges hearing is scheduled for August 24.
Arusha, December 5, 2014 (FH) – International Criminal Court (ICC) Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said Friday she is withdrawing charges against Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta for lack of enough solid evidence.
The Prosecutor said the evidence “had not improved to such an extent that Mr Kenyatta's alleged criminal responsibility can be proven beyond reasonable doubt”.
Kenyatta, the first sitting head of state to appear before the international court, was charged with crimes against humanity committed in violence that followed elections at the end of 2007.
Arusha, October 22, 2014 (FH) – The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Tuesday ordered the provisional release of four suspects close to Congolese Senator and former Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba, “to avoid that the duration of the pre-trial detention become disproportionate”.
Jean-Pierre Bemba is on trial before the ICC for crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in the Central African Republic (CAR) in 2002 and 2003.
Arusha, October 15, 2014 (FH) – The trial of Simone Gbagbo, wife of the former Ivorian President, is to start on October 22 before an Ivorian court, RFI reported Wednesday.
Simone Gbagbo is also under an International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant which Abidjan has so far refused to implement, arguing that national courts are willing and able to give her a fair trial.
Arusha, September 23, 2014 (FH) – Trial hearings kicked off Monday in Kigali in the case of Charles Bandora, the first genocide suspect extradited to Rwanda from a European country.
Bandora was handed over to Rwandan authorities by Norway on March 10, 2013.
On the first day, the court heard two witnesses who launched strong accusations against the former businessman, according to Rwandan private newspaper the New Times.
Kigali, October 31, 2012 (FH) – More than 50,000 people suspected of having participated in the 1994 genocide are still at large in various African and European countries, according to the Rwandan Prosecutor General’s office.
The Rwandan judicial authorities have only issued arrest warrants for 146 of these suspects but state they are working on the case files of the others.
Most of these people have been tried and convicted in absentia by the semi-traditional gacaca courts which finished working at the end of June.
Arusha, July 9, 2012 (FH) – Six Western African leaders have asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to investigate war crimes in northern Mali.
The Heads of State from Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Niger, Nigeria, Togo and Burkina Faso reportedly held a mini-Summit in Ouagadougou on Saturday to discuss, among others, the political crisis in Mali.
Over the past week, armed Islamist fighters have descended on cemeteries holding the remains of Timbuktu's Sufi saints, systematically destroying its six most famous tombs.
Arusha, June 4, 2012 (FH) – Malawi is to arrest Sudanese President Hassan Omar Al-Bashir, wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, if he sets foot in the country next month for the African Union Summit.
Arusha, April 19, 2012 (FH) - Jean-Bosco Uwinkindi is charged with genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide and extermination as a crime against humanity for crimes committed in Kanzenze commune, Kigali-rural prefecture, between April 7 and July 1994.
At the time of the genocide in Rwanda, he was Pastor of of the Pentecostal church of Kayenzi in Kenzenze commune. The ICTR Prosecutor alleges in an eight-page indictment that “he led a group of killers to look for and exterminate Tutsi” and that the group lived at the Kayenzi church.
Arusha, January 24, 2012 (FH) - Kigali has hailed Canada's deportation of Rwandan scholar Leon Mugesera and the expected transfer of a first genocide suspect from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda as signs of progress in the Rwandan justice system. Mugesera arrived in the Rwandan capital on Tuesday after finally losing a 16-year battle against extradition, while the ICTR is expected to transfer Pastor Jean Uwinkindi not later than February 23 to face justice in Rwanda.
Arusha, September 30, 2011 (FH) -The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) Friday acquitted Rwandan ex-ministers Casimir Bizimungu and Jérome Bicamumpaka on all charges for lack of sufficient evidence. It imposed 30- year prison sentences on two other members of the former interim government, Justin Mugenzi and Prosper Mugiraneza, for their role in the 1994 genocide.
The Hague, July 6, 2011 (FH) - Kenya has just conveyed to the International Criminal Court (ICC) its first investigation report on post-elections violence which happened in December 2007.
ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo had been allowed to take over the Kenyan case on March 31, 2010, after the Kenyan parliament failed to set up a special tribunal to judge six high Kenyan officials.
Paris, June 19, 2011 (FH) - Six years after a resolution from the UN Security Council recommending the creation of a Truth and reconciliation commission and a Special Tribunal, negotiations will resume at the end of June in Burundi.
"At the request of the government of Burundi, the Human Rights Council has agreed to provide needed expertise and funding", the Minister for Human Rights Immaculée Nahayo announced during the 17th session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva.
Arusha, May 9, 2011 (FH) - Deogratis Basesayabo, first defence witness in the case of former Rwandan military officer, Captain Idelphonse Nizeyimana told the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) on Monday about three events where patients mostly Tutsis were abducted from the Butare University Teaching Hospital and killed after mid April, 1994.