Though fighting ceased 19 years ago, the people of Nagorno Karabakh continue to suffer, as the 1992-94 war between Armenia and Azerbaijan left behind hundreds of minefields and cluster bomb strikes. In fact, Karabakh has one of the world’s highest per capita mine casualty rates – on a par with Afghanistan and surpassing Cambodia. A quarter of the victims in Karabakh are children.
GLENDALE - The United Armenian Fund (UAF) contributed almost $24 million in humanitarian assistance to Armenia during the fiscal year 2005, consisting primarily of medicine and medical supplies, according to the latest audit of its financial statements.
The audit also shows that the UAF spent less than 1% of its total revenues on administrative expenses, allocating the remaining 99% to assisting the people of Armenia and Karabagh.
The Armenian Relief Society chapters throughout the Western region are continuing to raise funds for Hurricane Katrina victims.
Its San Francisco "Garin" and East Bay "Erepouni" Chapters took advantage of their annual St. Gregory Church bazaar and set up collection stations all over the bazaar site in San Francisco; the Montebello "Nairy" Chapter set up a table at Holy Cross Cathedral; the Studio City "Meghry" Chapter used the Armenian Center as a collection station; other chapters got on the phone and collected funds for the Hurricane victims.
US House Finalizes Approval of its Version of the Foreign Aid Bill
WASHINGTON, DC (ANCA) - The Senate and House continued consideration of the Fiscal Year (FY) 2006 foreign aid bill this week with the Senate Appropriations Committee adopting on Thursday appropriations of $75 million for Armenia and $3 million for Karabagh. The House adopted their version of the foreign aid bill on Tuesday.
Dr. Alber Karamanoukian joins effort to resettle Karabagh's border regions
STEPANAKERT - The Tufenkian Foundation this week announced a generous gift by Dr. Alber Karamanoukian toward its ongoing efforts to promote Mountainous Karabagh's resettlement. Dr.
YEREVAN (Yerkir) - The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OCSE) rapporteur on Karabagh Goran Lennmarker, reaffirmed that the region's status is of utmost importance, National Assembly Vice Speaker Vahan Hovhannissian told a news conference on Monday.
YEREVAN (RFE/RL) - The next round of Armenian-Azeri peace talks has been postponed by at least one week because of Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian's continuing illness, his spokesman clarified on Wednesday.
Oskanian and his Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov were scheduled to hold a meeting in Prague on Wednesday. News of its postponement was confirmed by Armenia on Tuesday. Azerbaijani sources said it will likely take place in Paris later this week.
But an Armenian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Serob Bejanian, said this is now out of question.
STEPANAKERT (Combines Sources) - In a February 20 statement, the National Assembly of the Mountainous Karabagh Republic (MKR) reaffirmed its readiness to construct an independent democratic state based on the right to self-determination.
The statement came on the 17th anniversary of the February 20, 1988 decision of the mainly ethnic Armenian Mountainous Karabagh's Supreme Soviet that called for the transfer of authority over the region, from Azerbaijan to Armenia.
ANCA welcomes recognition of the role that military aid parity plays in regional stability
WASHINGTON, DC--In a move welcomed as a contribution to regional stability and the search for peace, the Bush Administration's Fiscal Year (FY) 2006 budget proposal, released February 7, called for maintaining parity in military assistance to Armenia and Azerbaijan, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA). This decision represents a break from the last year's widely criticized FY 2005 budget request, which, although later reversed by Congress, initially proposed …
BAKU (ANS, Noyan Tapan) - The main subject of the talks between Georgian President Edward Shevradnadze and Azeri President Gaydar Aliyev planned for September will be bilateral cooperation in the field of communications and transportation.
KAZIMIROV ISSUES ANNOUNCEMENT ON PEACE PROCESS
YEREVAN (Respublica Armenia, Snark)-"The Karabakh conflict cannot be resolved based on an all or nothing principle, though the parties to the conflict are still sticking to this premise," declared former Special Russian Presidential Envoy and chief mediator on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict Vladimir Kazimirov, stressing that "this principle is rather a basis to maintain the current no war, no peace situation, than a foothold for a political resolution." "It is clear that none of the parties to the …