By FRED WAMBEDE
BULAMBULI. The government has started constructing houses on the controversial Bunambutye land in Bulambuli District to resettle landslide victims in Mt Elgon amid protests from a section of residents, who still claim ownership of the said land.
At the construction site in Bunambutye Sub-county, the foundation for more than 40 houses out of 101, which are scheduled to be constructed in the first phase by the end of February, had been completed when Daily Monitor visited last Friday.
By FRED WAMBEDE & PHEOBE MASONGOLE
Bududa- More than two months since disaster struck the mountainous Bududa District, the residents are yet to be resettled. And to some, the experience is painful.
Bunambutye Sub-county, Bulambuli District, should be their new home starting February next year after the October 11 mudslides left them homeless and vulnerable.
More than 40 people died and several went missing from the tragedy.
Yet in 2010, disaster struck the same district, killing more than 350 dead in Nametsi.
By NOBERT ATUKUNDA
Kampala. At least 2,000 frontline health workers in the seven high risk districts, including Kasese, Bundibugyo and Ntoroko have been vaccinated against the deadly Ebola disease as a preventive measure against the disease that has ravaged neighbouring DR Congo (DRC).
Speaking at a press conference in Kampala yesterday, Dr Ruth Jane Aceng, the Health minister, said the health workers are at high risk of acquiring the disease as they are more exposed considering the kind of work they do.
By FRED WAMBEDE BUDUDA
The resettlement scheme is being developed on three plots where Plot 94 measuring 270 acres (250 houses), Plot 157, which is 918 acres (650 houses), while Plot 198 measuring 1,688 acres will be reserved for mechanised agricultural production.
The government has started the registration of landslide victims as part of the process to finally relocate and resettle them in the acquired 2,800 acres of land in Bunambutye Sub-county in Bulambuli District.
By EPHRAIM KASOZI
Kampala. Plans have been finalised for government to construct 900 houses in Bunambutye Sub-county in Bulambuli District to resettle landslide victims, the State Minister for Relief, Disaster Preparedness and Refugees, Mr Musa Ecweru, has said.
Mr Ecweru yesterday said the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) is working with the Ministry of Lands to make Bunambutye a model settlement area, adding that commissioning of the first set of houses is slated for February 2019.
By YAHUDU KITUNZI
The Eastern Cooperate Club (ECC) on Sunday donated food and other assorted items worth millions of shillings to homeless victims of the recent landslide in Bukalasi Sub County, Bududa District.
The relief items were handed over to Bukalasi Sub County leadership by ECC President, Mr Xavier Watikha at Sume Primary School. Mr Watikha said the items donated include; clothes, shoes, food, mosquito nets, bread among others.
By James Kabengwa
Tension among residents around River Mayanja in Wakiso District yesterday remained high as district officials declared that they had no funds to help those affected after the river burst its banks. The leaders also said there had been no response from government yet.
At least four major crossing points at Buloba Kikubampanga, Gobero-Kakiri-Masuliita, Kawanda-Kayunga and Bubale were completely swept away, hindering movement of residents.
By yesterday, residents had resorted to other longer routes to cross to their destinations.
President Yoweri Museveni has fulfilled his pledge of availing Shs2 million to each of the survivors and those injured during the tragic Bududa mudslides. He also given Shs5 million to each of the families who lost their loved ones.
The mudslides occurred on October 11, 2018 following a heavy downpour in Bukalasi Sub-County in Bududa District, leaving several people homeless.
President Museveni had made the pledge during his visit on October 14, 2018 to express his sympathy to the affected families in the area.
KAMPALA. The government on Friday officially called off the search for people that were swept away by the devastating mudslides in the villages of Bakalasi Sub County in Bududa District.
Mr Martin Owor, the commissioner for disaster in the office of the Prime Minister (OPM), said that they are now focusing on taking care of those that survived as well as families of those who lost their lives in the disaster.
By Fred Wambede and Phoebe Masongole
MBALE- A section of Members of Parliament in Bugisu Sub-region want landslide victims in Bududa District to be relocated and resettled only in the approved locations in the district.
Led by Mr John Baptist Nambeshe, (Manjiya County), the politicians say the decision by government to resettle victims in Bunamputye Sub-county in Bulambuli District should be shelved because the move would cause more deaths in future since the area swampy and prone to flooding.
Bududa. Households in 10 more villages and acres of crops in Bududa District are at risk of being swept away by mudslides that has already killed scores of people and buried at least 100 homes. “The situation is tense and several more villages are at risk of being swept away by the mudslides. People need to be relocated to safer areas, the situation now is terrible,” the Bududa District chairman, Mr Wilson Watira, told journalists yesterday.
MANAFWA- An acute water shortage has hit Tororo and Manafwa districts.
Mr Samuel Apedel, the spokesman of National Water and Sewarage Corportaion attributed the shortage to a landslide that damaged the water pipe network at Soono Water Treatment Plant in the neighbouring Namisindwa District.
“The landslides destabilised the pipe network at the plant, including its infrastructure and also caused land movements of various sections of the water treatment plant,” he said.
By Monitor Team
Masindi. Land conflicts are threatening agriculture production and food security in the oil-rich Bunyoro Sub-region, leaders have said.
The disputes, some of which have turned bloody, have displaced thousands of people, leaving them with no land for cultivation.
The appreciation in the value of land following the discovery of commercially viable oil and gas deposits has fuelled the land wrangles as wealthy individuals and companies move to set up oil-related infrastructural projects.
By ROBERT ELEMA
Three projects being implemented under the Refugee and Host Population for Empowerment (ReHoPE) project in Yumbe District have stalled due to lack of funds.
ReHoPE is a project that supports refugees and the host communities in Yumbe District, with funding from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
By ALEX TUMUHIMBISE
Kakumiro. Irene Mukyeshiwabo, a mother of five from Kalangara Village in Nkooko Sub-county, Kakumiro District, is living in distress over the health of her children.
By Monitor Reporter
Following the declaration of an outbreak of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), a haemorrhagic fever in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the health ministry in Uganda has asked health workers to intensify their surveillance against the deadly disease.
The acting director of Health Services Dr Henry Mwebesa on Monday issued a notice directing all district health officers in the country to be vigilant.
By LILIAN NAMAGEMBE
Kampala - Ministry of Health has warned Ugandans residing in districts bordering Ebola-stricken DR Congo, against the consumption of bush meat through which the disease is said to be spread.
Leaders in DR Congo on Tuesday confirmed 20 people had died from the haemorrhagic fever in and around Mangina, a densely populated town about 100km from the Uganda’s Mpondwe border post in the Western district of Kasese.
By EMMANUEL AINEBYOONA
Parents are struggling to have their children immunised against polio and rotavirus after most health facilities in the country reported stock-outs of both vaccines.
A mother, who preferred anonymity in order to speak freely, told Daily Monitor that Kawempe Hospital, which is affiliated to Mulago National Referral Hospital, had run out of the polio vaccine by the time she delivered her baby.
- Mr Alex Maseraka, the district planner, says floods have impacted on the district budget since they have had to allocate Shs70 million each financial year to mitigate flood effects.
- He adds that the Comprehensive Disaster Management Plan of Shs25 billion was made and submitted to the Office of Prime Minister but since then it has never been implemented.
By ENID NINSIIMA & FELIX BASIIME