GUANGZHOU, Sept. 17 (Xinhua) -- Four people have been confirmed dead in Guangdong as Super Typhoon Mangkhut ravaged the southern Chinese province, local authorities said Monday.
Mangkhut landed at 5 p.m. Sunday on the coast of Jiangmen City in Guangdong, packing winds up to 162 km per hour, according to the provincial meteorological station.
Three people were killed by falling trees in Guangzhou, the provincial capital, while another person died from collapsing construction materials in the city of Dongguan, according to Guangdong's disaster relief authorities.
2018-09-14 23:38:56 | Editor: yan
GUANGZHOU, Sept. 14 (Xinhua) -- As the southern Chinese province of Guangdong braces for super typhoon Mangkhut, the region has called over 6,000 boats back to harbor, evacuated over 3,000 offshore platform workers, and shut down all construction sites.
Mangkhut is expected to land in an area between western Guangdong and eastern Hainan on Sunday night, packing strong gales and bringing tremendous downpours, the local weather bureau said.
GUANGZHOU, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- Nearly 12,000 residents have been evacuated as the 23rd typhoon of this year approaches south China's Guangdong Province.
As of 3:00 p.m., 11,998 residents living in low-lying areas and in dilapidated buildings had been evacuated. Work had been suspended at more than 200 construction sites, according to local authorities.
Passenger ships have been ordered to stop services on the Qiongzhou Strait, between island province of Hainan and Guangdong, as of 2 p.m. Wednesday due to safety concerns.
BEIJING, Sept. 8 (Xinhua) -- China's central government has distributed funds totaling 155 million yuan (about 22.7 million U.S. dollars) to areas hit by floods or mudslides to help local disaster relief efforts, according to the Ministry of Emergency Management.
The funds were allocated for Guangdong and Yunnan provinces, Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, and Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, the ministry said.
KUNMING, Sept. 8 (Xinhua) -- Four people suffered minor injuries in an earthquake that hit Mojiang Hani Autonomous County, southwest China's Yunnan Province at 10:31 a.m. Saturday, local authorities said.
According to the county government, the 5.9-magnitude quake had damaged 21 homes as of Saturday afternoon. Traffic, telecommunications, and power supply are normal in most parts of Tongguan, a town nearest to the epicenter.
MALIPO, Yunnan Province, Sept. 5 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from a flood and a mudflow that hit southwest China's Yunnan Province has risen to eight, with the bodies of three victims recovered on Wednesday, according to the local rescue headquarters.
The rain-triggered disasters that happened in Mengdong Township, Malipo County, on Sunday have also left seven others injured, the headquarters said.
Fifteen people were previously reported missing in the disasters. On Wednesday, one more missing case was reported.
Source: Xinhua| 2018-09-02 20:41:56|Editor: Li Xia
BEIJING, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- China National Commission for Disaster Reduction and the Ministry of Emergency Management (MEM) jointly activated an emergency response on Sunday after heavy downpour wreaked havoc in Guangdong.
A special work team has been sent to the disaster area to provide guidance in disaster relief and the search for victims, according to sources with the MEM.
BEIJING, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- China's central government has allocated a relief fund totaling 330 million yuan (about 48 million U.S. dollars) to Beijing, Liaoning, Shaanxi and several other provincial-level regions hit by floods or drought, the Ministry of Finance said Friday.
The fund was from the central government's budget to help with flood and drought relief, emergency rescue, and the restoration of water conservancy facilities damaged by floods, according to the ministry.
BEIJING, Aug. 23 (Xinhua) -- Chinese government has allocated flood relief materials to Shandong and Anhui provinces to help with disaster relief, the Ministry of Emergency Management said Thursday.
Some 3,000 tents, 5,000 fold-away beds, 60,000 garments and quilts, and 20 floodlights were allocated from the central government's reserve warehouses in the cities of Hefei, Zhengzhou, and Wuhan, the ministry said.
The materials will be used by evacuated residents, according to the ministry.
BEIJING — China’s national observatory has renewed an orange alert for heavy rain on Aug 19 and Aug 20.
From Aug 19 to the morning of Aug 20, heavy rain is expected to hit parts of Henan, Hebei, Tianjin, Shandong, and Liaoning, according to the National Meteorological Center (NMC).
Some areas in Shandong, Hebei, and Liaoning are expected to experience downpours of up to 280 mm within 24 hours, the NMC forecast.
ZHENGZHOU, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Nearly 260,000 residents in central China's Henan Province have been affected by Typhoon Rumbia, the 18th this year, local authorities said Sunday.
The province was hit by heavy downpours on Friday and Saturday, resulting in flooding in a number of cities and districts.
TIANJIN, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Tianjin University has received approval from the National Development and Reform Commission to build a large-scale earthquake simulation engineering research facility.
The facility will be used to study the impact of earthquakes on large engineering projects on land and in the sea and explore solutions to improve their abilities to withstand the impacts, said Zhong Denghua, university president and lead scientist of the project.
HARBIN, Aug. 6 (Xinhua) -- More than 30,000 residents in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province have been affected by floods and waterlogging due to heavy downpours, local authorities said Monday.
According to the provincial civil affairs department, heavy rain and floods over the past week have disrupted lives of around 32,400 people and forced 896 to be relocated to safety across the province.
Floods also damaged 56,200 hectares of crops, causing direct economic losses of 96.9 million yuan (14 million U.S. dollars).
URUMQI, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- Twenty people have died in floods caused by torrential rain in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Tuesday, authorities said Friday.
Another eight people remain missing after the downpours hit Qincheng Township in Hami from 6 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on July 31, according to the regional disaster relief headquarters.
Over 8,700 houses, farmland, roads, railway lines, and power and telecommunication facilities were damaged in the floods.
KUNMING, Aug. 3 (Xinhua) -- Heavy downpours since last Friday and ensuing floods have affected around 226,000 people in southwest China's Yunnan Province, local authorities said Friday.
As of 16:30 p.m., heavy rain and floods had killed six people, forced 756 to be relocated to safety, and affected around 226,000 people from fifteen prefectures and cities across the province, according to the provincial disaster reduction committee.
Source: Xinhua 2018-07-26 12:39:20
HANOI, July 26 (Xinhua) -- Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has decided to offer Laos 200,000 U.S. dollars to help the neighbor country overcome consequences of the collapse of a hydropower dam in Attapeu province, the Vietnamese government portal announced on Thursday.
BEIJING, July 23 (Xinhua) -- As rainfall continued to batter northern China, relevant departments have been required to make necessary preparations for possible disasters caused by the rain.
China's Ministry of Emergency Management (MEM) on Sunday called for better efforts to mitigate disasters and reduce casualties during the flood season.
MEM's Vice Minister Huang Ming said that late July and early August is a "critical stage" for fighting floods and providing relief.
Editor: Xiang Bo
BEIJING, July 19 (Xinhua) -- The ministries of Finance and of Emergency Management have allocated 170 million yuan (about 25 million U.S. dollars) to help with flood relief work in west China's Sichuan and Gansu provinces.
The money will be used to relocate people affected by the floods, reconstruct collapsed houses and provide financial aid for flood victims, said a source of the Ministry of Emergency Management.
BEIJING, July 13 (Xinhua) -- Heavy rain continues in most parts of China on Friday, causing floods and traffic disruptions, forcing people to evacuate and tourist attractions to close.
The second flood peak of the Yangtze River this year has formed in its upper reaches, with severe flooding occurring in many branches of the river, according to the hydrology bureau of the Yangtze River water resources commission.
Editor: Mu Xuequan
BEIJING, July 12 (Xinhua) -- China's disaster relief authorities launched a level IV emergency response plan Thursday to help flood victims in west China's Sichuan and Gansu provinces.
About 932,000 people in Sichuan Province were affected by floods caused by heavy rains by midday Thursday, with three deaths and 101,000 people evacuated. Over 600 houses fell and 36,900 hectares of farmland were flooded. The province suffered direct economic losses worth 2.4 billion yuan (360.1 million U.S. dollars).