One year since fighting officially ended in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, the return home and certainty about the future continue to elude over 65,000 displaced people. They demand urgent action and support to overcome the burden left in the wake of the conflict.
By Jelly Musico
MANILA -- Malacañang on Thursday said the decision whether to extend martial law in Mindanao would depend on the recommendations of the security cluster.
“That will depend on the recommendation of the military. The President always heeds the advice or recommendation of the military and other police forces there, because they are the ones who are knowledgeable on the conditions existing there,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace press briefing.
By Luke Lischin
“The peace table is now wide open for everybody,” declared Presidential Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza to mark the National Peace Consciousness Month in the Philippines.
“This table is not only for the Muslims, for the New People’s Army, for the indigenous peoples, but for all Filipinos,” he added.
While Dureza reserves their seat, the New People’s Army (NPA) shows no signs of returning to the table. Rejecting President Rodrigo Duterte’s call for localised talks, the NPA remains a growing threat to national security, especially in Mindanao.
Wes Bruer Freelance journalist covering militancy and conflict
Until 23 May 2017, Samira Gutoc had been a human rights activist and a resident of Marawi, a lakeside city on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao. But when Islamist militants barricaded themselves in the city center last year, igniting a fierce five-month battle with the army, Gutoc found herself thrust into a new role: humanitarian worker.
The Mindanao Displacement Dashboard is a monthly publication of the Protection Cluster in Mindanao, Philippines which is co-led by UNHCR with the Department of Social Welfare and Development. This publication aims to provide an overview of the protection environment of displacement incidents in Mindanao for each month. Displacement incidents were collected with the support of Protection Cluster members in Mindanao.
POST-MARAWI SIEGE RECOVERY AND REHABILITATION
Commentary by Zachary Abuza
On July 31, a man drove up to a checkpoint outside of Lamitan town on Basilan Island in the southern Philippines and detonated a bomb, killing 10 people, including himself. The dead included a soldier, five paramilitaries and three civilians, among them a woman and a child.
We should note that the Armed Forces of the Philippines vigorously denies that the attack was a suicide bombing or that it had any ties to the Islamic State (IS), attributing it to a failed extortion attempt.
Nine months since the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) retook the city of Marawi from a coalition of Islamic State (IS) affiliated groups, resulting in the deaths of at least 802 militants, 160 government forces, and 47 civilians, President Rodrigo Duterte signed the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL).
MARAWI CITY, Lanao del Sur, July 19 (PIA)--Sixty families displaced by Marawi siege officially received the keys to their transitory houses at the Angat Buhay Village in Barangay Sagonsongan, this city on July 17.
Vice President Leni Robredo led the turnover ceremony along with Marawi Mayor Majul Usman Gandamra, Xavier University- Ateneo de Cagayan president Fr. Roberto C. Yap SJ, and Metro Stonerich Corporation (contractor) Chief Operating Officer Eliseo Aurellado, and other partners of the housing project for internally-displaced people (IDP).
A. SITUATION ANALYSIS
Description of the disaster
Through the generous support of the Government of Italy, WFP started a food assistance for assets activity in 15 barangays in Lanao del Sur. WFP provided vegetable seeds for planting to 1,580 participants and reached 7,900 individuals with rice.
WFP reached 93,270 individuals in Marawi and Iligan cities and nine municipalities in Lanao del Sur with rice, through general distributions.
208,000 returned individuals in need of assistance
Manila (ICRC) – Close to 500 families that found themselves displaced by the recent outbreak of fighting in the southern part of Lanao del Sur province, in Mindanao, and remain displaced to date received food and other essential supplies provided by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), with the support of the Philippine Red Cross (PRC).
An airstrike and a subsequent armed confrontation in Barangay Guiarong, Tubaran, Lanao del Sur occurred when the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) launched a Law Enforcement Operation (LEO) on Sunday, 17 June 2018 against a number of people allegedly led by Abu Dar, considered to be rebuilding a group based on the remnants of the ISIS-inspired group that caused the seven (7) month Marawi conflict in May 2017.
An airstrike and subsequent armed confrontation occurred in Barangay Guiarong, Tubaran and Barangay Padas, Pagayawan, Lanao del Sur when the Armed Forces ofthe Philippines launched a Law Enforcement Operation (LEO) today, 17 June 2018 against an alleged number of people led by Abu Dar considered to be rebuilding a group based on the remnants of the ISIS-inspired group that caused the seven (7) month Marawi conflict in May 2017.
Armed clashes in June displace more than 14,000 people
USAID partners provide emergency food, shelter, and WASH assistance
USAID/OFDA contributes additional $3 million to support conflict-affected IDPs and returnees
Manila (ICRC) – Displaced for more than a year since the start of the five-month conflict in Marawi City, many families in south-eastern parts of Lanao del Sur province continue to struggle due to lack of food and other necessities. The absence of a stable income and capital for small businesses has forced many who were traders before the start of the conflict to rely on farming and fishing.
To bring the commemoration of World Refugee Day closer to our persons of concern, UNHCR distributed core relief items to some 300 families in Marawi City.
On 20 June, UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, marked World Refugee Day by distributing core relief items and clothes to families displaced by the Marawi conflict. The commemoration comes on the heels of the first anniversary of the five-month conflict, which saw the displacement of nearly 360,000 individuals.
By Jerome Carlo R. Paunan
MANILA, June 17 -- The man who oversees the national government's public information infrastructure said efforts are underway to digitize information of those forced to flee their homes after the conflict in Marawi.
The Philippines’ poor track record in reconstructing cities affected by disaster and conflict is manifest in Marawi’s case, a year since the siege.
Dakila Kim P. Yee - 23 May, 2018
Manila (ICRC) – Around 230,000 people remain displaced and in need of stronger support one year after armed conflict broke out in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, southern Philippines.
“Efforts to rehabilitate Marawi and assist its people must be stepped up to reduce the suffering of thousands of those who were displaced over the past year. The efforts are there, but these must match the growing needs of those who face prolonged displacement and are close to despair,” said Pascal Porchet, head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegation in the Philippines.
At least 25 student leaders and school advisers from four schools in Marawi City gathered for the Empowering Children as Peacebuilders (ECAP) training of trainers, led by World Vision in coordination with the Department of Education, Education cluster and the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace Process (OPAPP).