The government’s Strategic Reserve Corporation has prepositioned 160,151 metric tons (MT) of sorghum in Kassala and North Darfur.
A joint mission to Otash IDP camp in South Darfur assessed the needs of some 1,200 IDPs from East Jebel Marra.
UNHCR and COR have distributed non-food items to over 6,300 South Sudanese refugee families in Khartoum.
Japan donates $1.2 million to assist returnees, South Sudanese refugees, IDPs and host communities.
AWD cases decline in Central Darfur as aid organizations respond to the situation.
Some parts of the country will face increasing food insecurity through September 2018 – FEWS NET.
Government authorities granted permission for the extension of refugee camps in White Nile and East Darfur states.
At least 105.7 sq km of land and 37,898 km of roads have been cleared in Sudan of various types of landmines and unexploded ordinances – UNMAS.
FAO held its 30th Regional Conference for Africa between 19-23 February in Khartoum.
Ending hunger can be achieved by scaling up efforts and fostering partnership towards resource mobilization - FAO.
Prices of main staples rose sharply in Sudan for the third consecutive month in January, despite the recently completed main season harvest - FAO FPMA Bulletin.
MC Scotland brings safe water and sanitation to 40,000 people in East Jebel Marra using solar panels with SHF support.
• 200,000 South Sudanese refugees are expected to arrive in Sudan in 2018.
• People in parts of North Darfur and Kassala are likely to face food shortages due to poor rains and harvest - FEWS NET.
• WFP in April will be registering protracted IDPs in Tawilla, North Darfur using SCOPE system to allocate assistance through its Food for Assets activities.
• 7,500 vulnerable people in Golo and Nertiti received winter ES/NFIs.
UNHAS scheduled to resume regular flights to South Kordofan and Blue Nile.
With UN Darfur Fund support, 30 health facilities in Darfur will be rehabilitated, improving health care services to more than 3 million people.
In 2017, almost 520,000 children in Sudan received their first measles vaccination.
MSF-Switzerland MUAC screening in Kario site indicates malnutrition rates well below global thresholds.
Some 3,000 South Sudanese refugees arrived in Sudan during 1-15 January.
• About 2,500 people were assisted to return to Turba village, South Darfur from Shangil Tobay IDP camp, North Darfur.
• People flee East Jebel Marra due to internal fighting within the SPLA-AW and arrive in Otash IDP camp, South Darfur.
• The VRRC replaces HAC in coleading the RRR sector in West Darfur.
• AWD cases continue to decline, according to the Ministry of Health.
• SHF announces US$3 million as the first standard allocation of funds for 2018.
About 1,500 people returned to their home villages in Dafag, ending 10 years of asylum in CAR - UNHCR
As of 31 December 2017, the HRP funding level stood at 45.4 per cent of the US$804 million budgeted.
MSF-Spain to phase out of Sortony, North Darfur, due to the improved health situation in the area.
Plan International WASH interventions in two IDP camps in North Darfur to end in February 2018.
UK contributes over £71.5 million towards aid operations in Sudan.
- Sudan Federal Ministry of Health reports an increase in the number of dengue fever cases across the country.
- Some 1,500 Sudanese refugees set to voluntarily return to South Darfur from the Central African Republic.
- Poor health, water and sanitation conditions reported in Foro Baranga locality, West Darfur.
- South Sudanese refugee number amended upwards to include pre-December 2013 figure.
- WFP aid convoy from El Obeid reaches Aweil in South Sudan bringing food for 30,000 people.
- In Sudan, malaria cases have fallen since a spike of 1.2 million in 2014 to nearly 900,000 this year.
- Food security improves throughout most of the country, due to good harvests, FEWS NET.
- In East Jebel Marra locality, about 4,000 children under five receive routine vaccines.
- UN SC Working Group on Children and Armed Conflict commends government efforts to ensure no child is recruited in the armed forces.
• About 10,000 people need assistance in Dilling locality, South Kordofan.
• Humanitarian corridor Sudan to South Sudan eases food aid to 97,000.
• First official national antitrafficking plan launched by the Government.
• Over 200 Syrian and Yemeni refugees in Khartoum received livelihood training.
• SHF donors travel to Nertiti, in newly opened Jebel Marra.
# people in need in Sudan (2017 HNO): 4.8 million
# people in need in Darfur (2017 HNO): 3 million
• Sudanese refugee leaders visit their home villages for the first time in a decade.
• Above-average rains from August to October have lifted prospects for the 2017 cereal harvest, reports FEWS NET.
• AWD cases declining with only 50 new cases and one related death reported between 29 October and 4 November.
• Aid organisations assist some 163,000 vulnerable people in the Abyei Area.
• EU donates €106 million (about US$ 123 million) for humanitarian and development aid in Sudan.
• AWD cases in Sudan have come down during the past weeks, however, response must continue until no cases are reported for three consecutive weeks nationwide.
• An estimated 185,000 South Sudanese refugees have arrived in Sudan in 2017.
• WFP distributed food to 66,200 people in need of assistance in Golo town.
• WHO provided medicine to Golo hospital to cover health needs in the Jebel Marra area for three months.
• More model villages will be built in Darfur in 2018 with funding from Saudi Arabia.
• UN Country Team welcomes the lifting of US economic sanctions against Sudan.
• In West Darfur, over 13,000 return to their home areas in Sirba and Kulbus localities.
• October harvests will maintain or improve acute food insecurity to Minimal or Stressed levels between October 2017 and January 2018 - FEWS NET.
• AWD cases have reached over 35,000—including 800 related deaths.
No. people in need in Sudan (2017 HNO) - 4.8 million
• 105,000 people in Deribat (East Jebel Marra) are in need of humanitarian assistance.
• AWD cases have nearly reached 34,000—including 774 related deaths—across 18 states in the country since August 2016.
• The 2017 HRP is only 38% funded, affecting humanitarian operations and the lives of people in need.
• Over 461,000 South Sudanese refugees have arrived in Sudan since midDecember 2013.
105,000 people in the Deribat area, East Jebel Marra locality, need assistance
Harvests in October will maintain or improve food security through to January 2018 - FEWS NET.
About 460,000 South Sudanese refugees—fleeing hunger and violence in South Sudan—have arrived in Sudan since December 2013.
The third consecutive week of above-average rainfall in Sudan has resulted in flash floods, damage to infrastructure, and displacement - FEWS NET.
AWD cases reach over 30,000—including 657 deaths—across all 18 states in Sudan, according to FMoH.
Almost 64,000 people affected by heavy rains and flash floods across the country.
Over 424,000 South Sudanese refugees arrived in the country since 2013, of whom 180,592 arrived in 2017.
QATAR Fund for Development donates US$70 million towards development projects in Darfur, which will benefit 300,000 people over a five-year period.
Aid organisations plan to send an additional 90,000 tons of aid to South Sudan through Sudan.
Fighting between farmers and pastoralists temporarily displaced 1,300 people to Kalma IDP camp, South Darfur.
Thousands of students in the Jebel Marra area receive education assistance.
European Union (EU) contributes €3.1 million ($US 3.53 million) to UNHCR for South Sudanese refugee response.
Over 410,000 South Sudanese refugees have arrived in Sudan since mid-December 2013
• Federal Minister of Health and senior UN delegation visits Kalma IDP camp to see AWD response.
• Heavy rains and flash floods affect over 10,000 people in North and South Darfur.
• In 2017, an estimated 15,000 people have returned to their home areas in the Rokoro area, North Jebel Marra locality.
• Humanitarian needs in the Rokoro area include food, emergency household supplies, water, health and education assistance.
• Flash floods affect 9,000 people (1,780 families) in Kalma IDP camp, South Darfur.
• About 42,700 children have been screened for acute malnutrition in Jebel Marra, of whom 800 had SAM and 3,909 had MAM.
• UNICEF launches a malnutrition treatment campaign to deliver lifesaving services to people affected by malnutrition in Jebel Marra.
• UNICEF needs US$22 million to provide lifesaving response for over 100,000 children.
• 403,000 South Sudanese refugees arrived in Sudan since 2013; 39% of them arrived in 2017.