Police said there were 11 Syrian nationals on the vessel, two people from Morocco and two from Yemen, one person from Afghanistan and one from Pakistan. The group included four children
BELGRADE, Jan 30 (Reuters) - A group of migrants, including 11 Syrians, were rescued on Tuesday from an Italian fishing trawler in the Adriatic Sea and taken to Montenegro, police said.
A ceremony in Podgorica on 15 November 2017 saw 120 displaced vulnerable families who had been living in a container settlement in the Konik Camp presented with keys to new homes financed by the Regional Housing Programme and supported by the OSCE Mission to Montenegro.
By Hilkka Hyrkko, IFRC
Welcoming people from other places and handling migration is not new to Montenegro. This small state with about 620 000 inhabitants received 156 950 people during the conflicts that followed the collapse of former Yugoslavia.
On 20 July 2017, the Federal Council decided to dispatch a Swiss Armed Forces Super Puma helicopter from Switzerland to Montenegro to help fight forest fires. The helicopter is already en route to Tivat, where it will replace a KFOR helicopter which had been redeployed from Pristina to Tivat yesterday to provide initial support.
The TRC has distributed 6,502 food parcels to 12 regions in Montenegro, reaching approximately 24,000 beneficiaries.
TOTAL COST INCLUDING EXPENDITURES 124,797.70USD
PODGORICA, Montenegro, March 11 (UNHCR) – When his wife Aisha* and their four young children finally emerge into the arrivals hall at Podgorica airport, Yemeni lawyer Jamil* folds them into his arms and weeps for joy.
It has been more than four years since he fled for his life from Yemen and sought refuge in the tiny Balkan country of Montenegro.
BUDVA, Montenegro, 10 December 2015 – A three-day regional disaster risk reduction training course, organized by the Office of the Co-ordinator of OSCE Economic and Environmental Activities, hosted by the OSCE Mission to Montenegro, was completed today in Budva.
Some 34 participants, representing civil defence, protection and rescue and spatial planning departments as well as representatives from six Aarhus Centres from Albania and Montenegro took part in a discussion gaining knowledge and exchanging experience on disaster risk reduction.
Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC)
Type: Base year based emission reduction target (economy wide)
Contribution to the international effort to avoid dangerous climate change is expressed in 30% emission reduction by 2030 compared to the 1990 base year.
1. TURKISH RED CRESCENT ACTIVITIES ( FOOD & NF ITEMS)
TRC has donated food and clothing items to Montenegro.
In coordination of Turkish Red Crescent, Ministry of Health of Turkey has dispatched 22.000 doses of vaccines to be delivered to Ministry Health of Montenegro.
500 food packages (2.500 beneficiaries) and various clothing materials have been dispatched to Kosovo.
The International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance was adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on 20 December 2006. The Convention was opened for signature on 6 February 2007.
CAMP KONIK, Montenegro, July 23 (UNHCR) – Tefik Berisa is a difficult man to reach. Calls to his home are often answered by a polite childish voice: "My father is not available, he is at work."
In person, his face reflects the hard life he's been through but his posture reveals a man who believes dignity is built through hard work. In 1999 he and his family fled Kosovo for Montenegro with little more than the clothes on their backs. Their belongings and documents were left behind.
By Biljana Markova
BRUSSELS, 13 June 2014 – This week, the city of Cetinje (population: 16,800) became the first city in the Balkan state of Montenegro to join UNISDR's Making Cities Resilient Campaign.
“Reducing disaster risk and adapting to climate change is crucial for the sustainable future of our city and community” said Cetinje Mayor Alexander Bogdanovic, at a signing ceremony.
Summary: In September 2012 heavy rains and storms affected the refugee camp Konik I in Montenegro, near the city of Podgorica. Five tents collapsed completely and all the others were flooded, thereby damaging the personal belongings of the residents. As a result of the flooding, the living conditions in the camp worsened as the previously distributed blankets, mattresses, kitchen utensils, clothes etc. were destroyed by water or were washed away, leaving the population of the camp even worse off than after the fire that happened in July 2012.
Montenegro has not solved its legacy of unexploded cluster sub-munitions left over after the NATO bombing campaign in 1999. Montenegro signed the Convention on Cluster Munitions on 3rd December 2008 and ratified 25th January 2010. Under Article 4 of the Convention on Cluster Munitions (CCM), Montenegro is required to complete clearance of all areas affected by remnants of cluster munitions under its jurisdiction or control by 1st August 2020.
By Benoist Matsha-Carpentier in Montenegro
1999, Kosovo. The country has been in war for several years and recent attacks in the countryside have forced thousands of people to flee their country, seeking refuge in what was still at the time the country of Serbia and Montenegro.
CHF 83,656 (USD 89,519 or EUR 69,143) has been allocated from the IFRC’s Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to support the National Society in delivering immediate assistance to some 150 families (800 beneficiaries). Unearmarked funds to repay DREF are encouraged.
On July 24th 2012 refugee camp Konik, in the suburbs of Podgorica, the capital of Montenegro, caught fire. The whole settlement of camp Konik I was destroyed with prefabricated houses – 38 of them – burning down.
This bulletin is being issued for information only and reflects the current situation and details available at this time. The Red Cross of Montenegro is seeking direct assistance to provide support to the affected people and families.
The European Commission has activated the European Union civil protection mechanism during the weekend to help Montenegro fight the forest fires in the north of the country. In response to Montenegro's request for assistance, two fire fighting helicopters from Croatia already arrived to the country and joined the fire fighting operations in the affected area.