The world-wide increase of food availability, through well designed agricultural policies and programmes, has not automatically lead to better nourished populations. The COVID-19 pandemic is further negatively impacting the food and nutrition security situation in many countries. This course debates the nutrition- sensitivity of current agricultural policies and programmes and explores which agricultural pathways lead to food and nutrition security for all.
What will you learn?
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Be well acquainted with the concepts of food systems, food and nutrition security, (nutrition-sensitive) agriculture, nutritious foods, poverty, sustainability and their interconnection;
- Be able to design and implement nutrition sensitive agricultural development programmes and policies to enhance the impact on nutrition;
- Understand and apply the principles - ‘empowerment of women’, ‘focusing on youth’ and ‘nutrition promotion and education’ in the design and implementation of nutrition sensitive agricultural development programmes and policies;
- Be able to evaluate the results of nutrition sensitive agriculture programmes for policy and decision making;
- Be able to work within a team of people with different backgrounds in an online learning environment and implement reflective learning at personal and group level;
Course programme in more detail
This six week course will address the role of agriculture in the provision of nutritious food to consumers, and how to achieve the desired individual, national and global nutrition impact, even considering the present COVID-19 pandemic. In the course, the latest (scientific) evidences, agricultural pathways of farm households, the dietary gaps and policies to stimulate the agricultural production of nutritious foods are discussed. After this assessment, the participants will work in groups to apply the knowledge and the participants experience through different tools to practice and discuss how to make agricultural projects nutrition-sensitive. Special attention will be given to gender and youth issues. In the last week discussions and practice are focussed on how to demonstrate the results of nutrition-sensitive agricultural project.
EUR 4,600.00 - This covers the tuition of the course. Since this course is online, there are no costs for accommodation, insurance or travel.
Early-bird deadline 28 September 2021
Deadline on October 12th 2021 for Orange Knowledge Programme scholarships and MENA scholarship programme.
How to register
For whom is this course?
Applicants should have a BSc or equivalent in the field of agriculture, food and nutrition security, health, or a related field, and have at least three years of professional experience in governmental or local non-governmental organisation as a policy or planning officer, or a managing or co-ordinating position in one of the field related to the course. Proficiency in English is required.
To register, please visit the following link
The Application Procedure
- Register for the course of your interest by clicking the ‘apply’ button on the webpage of this course. A registration form will open;
- Fill in the required fields of the registration form. Please note to write your date of birth without a zero (e.g. 1-5-1980 instead of 01-05-1980);
- Before you submit, check your details on the final page of the registration form;
- After submitting, you will receive a confirmation email. Make sure to directly click on the link in the email to confirm your registration. Without your confirmation, your registration cannot be processed;
- If you apply as an OKP or MSP-scholarship candidate, you will receive a registration letter for the scholarship at the beginning of the scholarship cycle.
- If you apply as a self-funded participant: we will forward your request for acceptance to the course leader. This can take some time as it depends on the coordinators' schedule (1-3 weeks);
- If you’re accepted into the course programme, we’ll send you an admission letter by e-mail;
- You receive all required travel documents from us after you are selected for the scholarship (OKP/MSP-scholarship candidates) or when we’ve received your payment (self-funded participant).
Courses are currently online
Our courses are currently online. Check the course details more information about the online course format.