An integrated and coherent approach among relevant political, security and development actors, within and outside of the United Nations system, is critical to peacebuilding and sustaining peace. This online course, featuring both self-paced material as well as interactive live sessions, will provide you with knowledge and skills to enhance implementation of cross-pillar approaches to peace in a given context.
An integrated and coherent approach among relevant political, security and development actors, within and outside of the United Nations system, is critical to peacebuilding and sustaining peace, and essential for improving respect for human rights, gender equality, empowering women and youth, strengthening the rule of law, eradicating poverty, building institutions, and advancing economic development in conflict-affected countries. There is a need to further strengthen cross-pillar support to UN peacebuilding activities in the field, while at the same time acknowledging each pillar’s own intrinsic value and specific mandate.
While progress has been made to integrate a peacebuilding and sustaining peace rationale and objectives across the UN system, more needs to be done to incorporate peacebuilding into UN activities in the field. The challenges of the pandemic further underscore the imperative of coherent, multidimensional and cross-pillar responses aligned with the integrated logic of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
This course will help you:
- Accelerate your knowledge on comprehensive cross-pillar approaches to peace, sharpening your understanding of the evidence-based rationale for sustaining peace and building your whole-of-system understanding of humanitarian-development-peace collaboration;
- Assess your organizational/contextual entry points for sustaining peace and formulate advice on a course of action;
- Leverage available resources and policies to enhance implementation of cross-pillar approaches to peace in your context.
This programme is delivered entirely online over four weeks. It combines self-paced modules with live tutored sessions as well as interactive spaces for experience sharing, joint reflection and peer exchange. A UNSSC facilitator will guide and support you throughout your learning journey.
The programme is hosted on the UNSSC online learning platform, which allows you a high degree of flexibility to access content at your own pace, from anywhere and at any time.
The cross-pillar approaches to peace course is set out to address and discuss the following questions:
- What are comprehensive cross-pillar approaches to peace? What is the rationale for this approach? What does state-of-the-art research say about the cause and effect of violent conflict on sustainable development, and vice versa?
- How can humanitarian/development/peace/multi-mandated organizations maximize their peacebuilding impact, while ensuring a do-no-harm approach?
- What are push-and-pull factors for sustaining peace approaches and where do we find conducive spaces in the humanitarian/development/peace environment?
UN staff as well as practitioners and representatives from governments, non-governmental organizations, the private sector, civil society and academia.
The programme fee is $1000. The fee includes access to training and learning materials and participation in live online sessions as well as one-to-one support from a UNSSC facilitator.
How to register
Registration is open 23 May 2021 and can be done via the following link http://ow.ly/X7ed50DkafI