The world becomes increasingly urban. In 2050 two thirds of the world’s population lives in cities, particularly in Africa and Asia. Natural resource scarcity, climate change and population growth pose challenges. Developing sustainable and resilient food systems in urbanising areas, using an integral perspective and facilitating rural-urban integration, is essential to ensure urban food and nutrition security. Learn the latest concepts, international experiences, tools, methods and approaches for food system analysis and urban food policy and planning.
What will you learn?
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Get well acquainted with the concept of city region food systems in relation to food and nutrition security in densely populated areas;
- Be able to use the concepts of city region food systems to analyse urban food and nutrition security issues;
- Be able to use different designs, methods and approaches, and their interrelationships, in planning for food and nutrition security in urbanizing societies.
Course programme in more detail
Providing food and nutrition security for the rapidly expanding populations in the world’s cities is a pressing challenge. The urban population heavily relies on a multitude of food systems for their daily food needs, varying from industrial agro-logistical networks to local engagement of consumers with producers. The projected population growth adds a layer of complexity to the current food systems. Strengthening the access to nutritious, affordable and acceptable food for communities in the cities requires resilient agri-food systems. Therefore, a better understanding of urban, peri-urban and rural food systems from an integral perspective is vital for contributing to the resilience of these food systems against other pressing trends of our era, such as globalisation and climate change.
EUR 4,100.00 - This covers the tuition of the course. Since this course is online, there are no costs for accommodation, insurance or travel. Deadline on March 16th 2021 for Orange Knowledge Programme scholarships.
How to register
For who is this course?
The course is open to international participants and MSc students of Wageningen University, preferably active in one of the following fields: rural/urban/spatial planning, agribusiness development, rural/urban livelihood governance, food and nutrition security and sustainable development. Several years of professional work experience and at least a BSc level are additional assets. Proficiency in English is a must.
The Application Procedure
- Register for the course of your interest by clicking the ‘apply’ button on the webpage of this course. A registration form will open;
- Fill in the required fields of the registration form. Please note to write your date of birth without a zero (e.g. 1-5-1980 instead of 01-05-1980);
- Before you submit, check your details on the final page of the registration form;
- After submitting, you will receive a confirmation email. Make sure to directly click on the link in the email to confirm your registration. Without your confirmation, your registration cannot be processed;
- If you apply as an OKP or MSP-scholarship candidate, you will receive a registration letter for the scholarship at the beginning of the scholarship cycle.
- If you apply as a self-funded participant: we will forward your request for acceptance to the course leader. This can take some time as it depends on the coordinators' schedule (1-3 weeks);
- If you’re accepted into the course programme, we’ll send you an admission letter by e-mail;
- You receive all required travel documents from us after you are selected for the scholarship (OKP/MSP-scholarship candidates) or when we’ve received your payment (self-funded participant).
Technology Requirements Online Learning
Minimum technical and software requirements for online learning courses are:
- Stable internet connection: required to access the online learning platform and assignments (at least 3G mobile network).
- Hardware requirement: acces to a laptop, smartphone, tablet or a personal computer with webcam and microphone.