Diploma in Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Action
The Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS) aims to offer professionals a strong understanding of the contemporary humanitarian challenges through a comprehensive overview of conceptual and operational aspects of humanitarian past and present crises. Their study will allow participants to acquire the necessary tools in order to analyze, understand and engage in critical reflection on the response to nowadays humanitarian emergencies.
Over the course of their studies, participants will:
- Analyse the historical, geopolitical and social origins of humanitarian crises
- Acquire methodological and conceptual tools in order to reflect on contemporary humanitarian action
- Reflect on their own practice
- Identify the trends and dilemmas of contemporary humanitarian action
Once the students successfully complete the Diploma of Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Action according to CERAH requirements, they obtain a joint diploma degree from the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID) and the University of Geneva (UNIGE).
The DAS is appropriate for:
- Professionals with 2+ years of experience in humanitarian and /or development organizations who want to improve their competencies as well as reflect and capitalize on their experiences
- Professionals from other sectors who wish to deepen their understanding of the contemporary humanitarian challenges
The DAS is taught in English, however, students are offered the alternative to take written tests and write their Diploma final paper in French.
PROGRAMMEThe course covers the following topics:
- History of humanitarianism
- Legal framework of humanitarian action
- Humanitarian politics
- Values, ethics and moral problems
- Vulnerability and Resilience
- Dynamic of actors
- Health in humanitarian emergencies
- From emergency to development?
- People management and humanitarian action
- Anthropology and intercultural approach in humanitarian action
- Communication and humanitarian action
- Security and Safety of humanitarian actionEach student must submit a final paper to graduate.
The course takes place from September to December. It is undertaken in Geneva, Switzerland.
For more information on scholarships and registration please visit: https://cerahgeneve.ch/education/diploma-of-advanced-studies/fees-schola...