Certificate of Advanced Studies in Climate and Disaster Risk Management
CAS in CLIMATE and DISASTER RISK MANAGEMENT
Explore how innovation can contribute to limiting climate related hazards. Integrate humanitarian action with planning and analysis tools during a simulated emergency to experience the changing nature of humanitarian preparedness and response.
• Disaster Risk Reduction
• Innovation in Climate Risk Management
• Capstone Simulation in Humanitarian Assistance
• Disaster Risk Management
• Climate Risk Management
• Integrated Supply Chain Strategy
• Development and Humanitarian Nexus
• Humanitarian Assistance
• Disaster Preparedness
Upon successful completion of this CAS you will be able to:
• Understand the linkages between development and emergency related concepts of risk, hazards, vulnerability, capacity, assets, governance and discrimination
• Critically review different approaches and tools used in practice in disaster management
• Apply planning and analysis tools and approaches to different types of crises and emergencies
• Understand the basics of how science, technology, and organizational innovations can help the humanitarian sector understand and address climate-related hazards, focusing on the strengths and limitations of forecasts at different time scales
• Work with experts from other disciplines in order to jointly identify the constellation of means, relationships, and processes that can enable forecast-based decisions to save lives and livelihoods
• Understand the humanitarian system and the tools and approaches required to deal with the changing nature of humanitarian preparedness and response in the field and at headquarters
• Discuss the major questions about the future of humanitarian assistance
• Appreciate the need for organizations to be accountable to a wide constituency, including beneficiaries, donors, the public, and the press
USI Università della Svizzera italiana is one of 12 universities under the Swiss university system, coordinated by the Rectors’ Conference of the Swiss Universities (swissuniversitites). swissuniversities represents all 12 Swiss universities and maintains relationships with other accredited universities outside Switzerland. As a recognized university that is part of the public system, the degree-granting body of the Master of Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Logistics and Management is USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis until all places are filled. Students requiring a visa for Switzerland are strongly urged to apply as early as possible. The visa process can take up to 3 months.
Forms and information can be found at: