This course is developed and contributed by the Emergency Medicine Unit of The University of Hong Kong and the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University with the generous funding of the China Medical Board.
Chinese subtitles and Chinese translation are provided in the videos and the course assessment respectively.
About this course
China, which is one of the countries most severely afflicted by natural disasters, has suffered huge loss in human lives and economic terms from various sorts of natural disasters over the years. What’s worse, nearly half of the Chinese populations live in rural areas. The impact by natural disasters in rural areas is disproportionately high. There are two foci of the Course: disaster response and rehabilitation in the rural setting. The first focus covers the knowledge and skills, in basic and advanced level, essential for disaster response. The second one is on the rehabilitative care for victims in a natural disaster.
What you will learn
There are 5 modules in the Course. Module 1: Issues common to all natural disasters Module 2: Basic disaster response management Module 3: Advanced disaster response management Module 4: Disaster rehabilitation Module 5: Assessment
Any persons who may serve as an emergency responder to natural disasters. They include the healthcare professionals, medical, nursing and allied health students and the general public.
This course aims to:
- address the need for education and training in Disaster Medicine in China
- reduce the mortality and morbidity of victims of natural disasters through education and training of emergency responders
List of Lectures
Module 1: Issues common to all natural disasters
- Section 1.1 Responding to natural disasters
- Section 1.2 Field triage in disasters
- Section 1.3 Scene safety in a disaster
Module 2: Basic disaster response management
- Section 2.1 Basic life support in a disaster
- Section 2.2 Basic communication skills
- Section 2.3 Psychological first aid in a disaster
Module 3: Advanced disaster response management
- Section 3.1 Common clinical problems in a natural disaster
- Section 3.2 Advanced life support skills in a disaster
- Section 3.3 Ultrasound-enhanced clinical skills in a disaster
Module 4: Disaster rehabilitation in the rural setting
- Section 4.1 Assessment of post-disaster rehabilitation needs
- Section 4.2 Management of orthopedic conditions
- Section 4.3 Management of traumatized conditions
Module 5: Assessment