Certificate in Humanitarian Foundations - Sydney
Start your Humanitarian journey on the right path.
The Certificate in Humanitarian Foundations is our flagship program serving change agents from a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and expertise. At Humanitarian Institute you'll get the tools, mindset, and network to help you forge your aid work career.
The Certificate teaches hard and soft skills that empower individuals and teams to search for innovative solutions to the world’s most difficult challenges. Learn from professional humanitarians about the scope and diversity of the aid and development industry and explore career pathways you have to engage in international relief work.
This intensive course is delivered over 40 hours, onsite plus an online learning module.
If you're looking to create solutions to help change the world, we can help you do just that.
Who should enrol
People who are driven to solve the world's largest challenges.
Are you constantly coming up against conventional wisdom about the world? Do the people around you not believe that the world can be a better place? Then this is where you want to be. With Humanitarian Institute you'll meet others who share your passion.
We look for people from all backgrounds...students, professionals… anyone intrigued about a career, short or long-term, in the humanitarian and international development sectors.
Are we describing you? If so, we definitely want to hear from you!
- Understand the breadth of the humanitarian sector in the 21st century: Stakeholders, systems, coordination mechanisms, legal frameworks and standards and applications relating to humanitarian management.
- Explore diverse pathways to engage in humanitarian work - domestically or internationally, short or long-term.
- Identify your personal skills, strengths and weaknesses for leveraging social change.
- Understand how ‘making a difference’ happens; your role in the process and how you can use your current skill sets to ignite change.
- Discover knowledge and skills that prepare you for the technical, emotional, physical and psychological challenges you may face when in the field.
What makes this course different
The Certificate exists to foster the growth of emerging humanitarians who will positively impact the lives of millions of people. If you attend the Certificate, you’ll have a remarkable opportunity to learn about social change and its broader implications; grow into global innovators and thought leaders; and build a strong, diverse community of friends for life who share your commitment to solving the world’s biggest problems.
- As natural and man-made disasters increase in frequency and intensity, and as the developing world demands knowledge and skills to support their growth, there are an incredibly diverse array of opportunities for those choosing a career that makes the world a better place. The humanitarian sectors staffing needs are growing at 6% per year!
- However, to help those in need, and support communities through complex challenges, unique technical and soft skill sets are required to ensure that the change embarked upon is relevant and sustainable. Good intentions are not enough!
- The ‘Certificate in Humanitarian Foundations’ shares Humanitarian Institute’s best practices for engaging in, and facilitating professional humanitarian work. These teachings are born from 15 years of practice with the top humanitarian leaders from around the globe. We’re facilitating this course, only through Humanitarian Institute, because we believe the world needs more creative humanitarian leaders to tackle today’s toughest challenges.
- Combination of face-to-face and online learning. Use of Virtual Reality and desktop simulations. This learning experience will leave you prepared, skilled and primed for deployment.
- Cory Steinhauer, Humanitarian Institute’s CEO, contributes his personal humanitarian experiences through this course and thoroughly prepares students for the realities of making a difference. Over the years, he has advised the public, private, and non-government sectors in Afghanistan, Australia, Cambodia, Korea, Laos, New Zealand, Mexico, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, Timor, Turkey and Vietnam.
- This course takes you from Australasia to Mali, Pakistan and beyond, to capture humanitarian expertise relevant for aspiring career humanitarians. You’ll explore unique situations and challenges and be able to take these insights directly into building your international career.
- Proudly aligned to the International Humanitarian Competency Framework.
How it works
- Time commitment of 40 hours (30 hours in-class and 10 hours online).
- Intensive in-class over 2 consecutive weekends.
- Registration is from 8:40am for a 9:00am start each day and finishing by 5:00pm.
- Each day is split into four sessions, separated by refreshment breaks (catering provided).
- You will be encouraged to actively participate in discussions and group learning.
- The trainer utilises practical and theoretical knowledge to ensure the experience and learning is applicable to the realities of today’s greatest political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental challenges.
- Learning simulations are used to challenge learners to implement and discuss course teachings.
- Online "Pre Reading Module" combines think pieces, 360 degree videos and a career development jumpstart. Guided yet self-paced.
Program modules include:
- 21st Century Humanitarian and International Development Industry: Public, Private and Civil Sectors.
- Humanitarian History.
- Humanitarian Contexts and Opportunities.
- International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law.
- Cross Cutting Themes: Gender, Child Protection, HIV and AIDS, Corruption, Counter-Terrorism, Resilience and Environment.
- Humanitarian Standards, Commitment, Principles, Infrastructure and Systems.
- International Career Development.
- Impacts and Realities of Humanitarian Work.
- Aid and Development Outcomes: Theory of Change, Logic Frameworks and much more.
- Effective Aid and Development Results: Monitoring and Evaluation, Global Commitments etc.
- Safety and Security in a Humanitarian Response.
- Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment.
*All Humanitarian Institute courses (online and in-class) are aligned to internationally recognised Humanitarian competency frameworks.
Our programs and courses are designed by expert Development professionals and Educators with input from experienced Humanitarians and subject matter experts. The contemporary content is updated on an on-going basis and includes case studies and real-life examples to ensure relevancy for today's and tomorrow's change makers.
How it's taught
Course is facilitated using a number of engaging methodologies including:
- Virtual Reality experience
- Group discussions
- 360 degree videos
- Team exercises
- Individual / group learning activities
- Online learning: Pre-reading module
- Competency assessments
- Desktop simulations
What you'll receive
- ‘Certificate of Completion’ to share with your professional network.
- A course manual that captures important insights.
- A flexible skill set to discover new methods of facilitating social change.
- A set of humanitarian based leadership approaches that will help you bring to life your unique vision.
- A network of like-minded leaders that spans across industries, sectors and functions.
- The confidence and skills to make a difference.