Cutting-Edge M&E: A Guide for Practitioners - Certificate Online Course
Cutting-Edge Monitoring & Evaluation: A Guide for Practitioners
This course provides a novel way of looking at the practice of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E). The question “what difference are we making”– as an individual, project, programme, organisation or network, is increasingly important whether for learning or accountability. The course lays out the challenges, introduces a tool-box of techniques and shows where these can be best applied through practical strategies and case studies. M&E are viewed as critical to all stages of a policy or programme development. Ways of promoting early participation and the engagement of key stakeholders are explored and a step-by-step action plan to improve the practice of M&E is provided. This lays the ground for M&E to make vital contributions to incentivising change and measure performance. In later sections techniques to measure impact and enable learning are provided.
Upon completion of the course the students will:
- Understand the added value of M&E and importance of adapting to context and working with clients and beneficiaries;
- Learn how to develop an effective evaluation framework;
- Fully appreciate the challenges facing evaluators and how to address them with practical strategies;
- Learn about various evaluation methods and how to choose the evaluation tools appropriate and relevant to the particular needs and context;
- Be able to set practical strategies to ensure that M&E is fully integrated into the critical steps involved in development, humanitarian reliefand policy environments;
- Be able to apply evaluation strategies and principle-based framework in their own practice;
- Be able to develop action planning with the view to improve MEAL function in the organisation/project/programme.
What our students say
This specialized M&E course is an excellent training for M&E practitioners and managers. It is conducted with sustained and continuous support by a highly experienced teacher, Colin Jacobs. I enjoyed learning and will use the course materials for a long time. Thanks for all support to TRAASS International team. | Edouard Casetta - Independent Evaluation Consultant, Switzerland
The course is taught by Colin Jacobs, a senior consultant with more than 25 years’ experience in international development in Asia, Sub-Sahara Africa, central Asia and Europe. Colin’s recent roles include President of the UK Evaluation Society and Head, Governance and Civil Society at British Council.
- Anyone who commissions, manages or carries out project or programme M&E;
- Evaluation advisors and consultants;
- Internal and external evaluators;
- Evaluation units of NGOs and UN agencies;
- Project managers, policy makers and programme implementers;
- Government agencies, legal & other specialist bodies;
- Researchers and development graduate students.
This online self-paced course uses a combination of methods comprised of reading materials, video lectures, and practical exercises to ensure practicality of the knowledge acquired. Case studies are used throughout the course to ensure a hands-on approach and the development of practical skills. Some checklists are provided as a “memo” to help the learner apply the lessons drawn from the course once back in her/his work context.
Enrol at your earliest convenience and start studying within 24h of registration. The course is self-paced, the trainer will provide you with a personalised support during the entire time it takes you to complete the course.