Advanced Monitoring and Evaluation for Results
Real-Time Monitoring (RTM) in the learning process
Recent years have seen the realisation of the importance of strong project theory. The most sophisticated Theory of Change (ToC) models are non-linear and highly reflective, particularly concerning the assumptions we make in articulating models of change.
Why choose this course
This Advanced Monitoring and Evaluation for Results training course builds on the training provided in our M&E for Results course and is primarily for organisations who want to build systematic learning and reflection into complex projects and programmes. It combines advanced Theory of Change modelling with proven, analytical real-time monitoring of results and targeted qualitative reviews to continually test assumptions made in design. It is based on an action learning cycle. When senior and junior staff from the same organisation participate together it is especially useful.
What you will learn
The course focuses on individual or group development of spreadsheet-based systems for trainees own organisation using theoretical presentation, illustration and practical exercise.
- the structure and operation of action learning-based model of process learning
- field assessment using cognitive mapping
- refinement of non-linear Theory of Change models (some prior knowledge assumed)
- managerially relevant and analytical output monitoring systems
- how to quantify intangible higher outcomes in an analytical way
- comparative analysis of all stages of the results chain
- how to conduct rapid qualitative reviews to investigate failed assumptions
- how to manage learning systems.
Daily Course Objectives
Introduction to learning process model and Real-Time Monitoring (RTM)
- use of Cognitive Mapping in Assessment
- participant’s case, Theory of Change development
- operationalising Theory of Change
Introduction to Activity To Output Monitoring (ATOM)
- work breakdown for ATOM
- creating ATOM spreadsheets and their interpretation
- generating ‘S’-curves
Introduction to measuring higher results, measuring intangibles
- Creation of Weighted Indexes (WEDEX)
- Calibrated Judgement Scoring (CAJUS)
- Management, presentation and interpretation of results
Livelihood Asset-Status Tracking (LAST) example
- charting outcomes with rolling baselines
- workshop procedure for assessment sheet creation
- scoring assessment sheets
- precision tests
Organising periodic assessments
- Ad-hoc Learning Exercises (ALEX) and reviews
- system management
- participants' strategies and group feedback.
What our participants say
"This course was very well prepared. Trainers demonstrated extensive knowledge of the subject. Especially practical examples from their own experience helped everyone better understand the components of the course. During the course I managed to improve my current knowledge of M&E, refine it and learn a lot more. After the week I left with a plan and list of steps to take to improve M&E of my projects."
Lukas Svatek, Programme Specialist, UNDP, Czech Republic
Fee information:£2350 For more information please visit http://www.imainternational.com/fees_and_discounts
View our fact sheet here...