Psychological first aid for children - New online course
Psychological First Aid (PFA) for Children course will introduce you to the concepts and steps involved in providing support to children following a distressing event. It includes activities that focus on the core elements of PFA and how to apply them in a humanitarian context.
In crisis events, children react and think differently to adults. Ensuring that humanitarian staff and volunteers are well-equipped to provide initial support for children in an appropriate way can make a significant difference in delivering an effective emergency response.
Psychological First Aid (PFA) is a humane, supportive response to a child who is suffering and who may need support. It is an essential tool for any humanitarian worker who deals with distressed children and families.
In this new online course, you will learn how to reassure, comfort and support children who have been recently exposed to a traumatic event.
This course is especially relevant to you if you are working in the field with children and families, or if you are working in the area of child protection, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), health, education, shelter or nutrition.
On completion of this course, you will:
- Be able to use the skills and knowledge you have learned in this course to provide psychological first aid to children and families
- Understand the importance of responding to children in an empathetic manner
- Understand the different reactions of children according to their age and stage of development and adapt how you speak to , and deal with children and their families
- Be able to identify children in need of support
- Understand the actions and the different techniques needed to provide PFA, including communicating with children and dealing with a child in the initial stage of distress
- Apply the actions principles – Look, Listen, Link – in the provision of PFA.
The course is entirely free and should take you about 90 minutes (including pre and post assessments).
Click here to sign up for the course