Travel Vaccinations: Principle and Practice (Online)
5 weeks - Part Time Online (approx 3-4 hours per week)
3 good reasons to study
- Delivered by experienced clinical professionals from the Well Travelled Clinics at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust who have wide experience of advising global travellers and teaching health professionals about travel health.
- You will develop your theoretical and practical knowledge and skills in advising travellers about travel vaccinations using a variety of interactive online education tools to facilitate learning with other health professionals.
- This interactive online learning with subject specialists and other students, enables flexible study to suit your needs including practical case studies from travel health consultations and discussion forums.
Travel health medicine is a fast growing and fast moving area of clinical practice. All health professionals providing travel health advice need to be familiar with current travel health issues and be able to deliver correct advice using reliable information resources tailored to the individual needs of each traveller.
More people with pre-existing illnesses or other special needs are travelling, therefore delivering advice is becoming more complex.
This new online course aims to equip new and experienced practitioners in the development of their vaccination knowledge and skills within a travel health setting. It will provide a platform of confident practice, reflection and continuing professional development (CPD) through interactive learning with subject specialists and peers.
- Explain the basic principles of the immune response to live and non-live vaccines
- Describe the key features of the vaccine preventable diseases studied
- List the vaccines relevant to your travellers in your practice setting and be able to summarise the schedules and efficacy of these vaccines
- Demonstrate the application of your learning in travel health consultations
- Vaccine preventable diseases of importance to the travel health practitioner
- Accessing reliable evidence based country specific vaccine information
- The immune system and the interplay with vaccines
- Types of vaccines
- Practical aspects of administering multiple vaccines and vaccine scheduling
- Application of knowledge using travel scenarios for vaccine administration
- Factors that affect vaccine delivery including cold chain and traveller specific issues such as existing health problems.
We are using an Asynchronous learning model. Asynchronous e-learning involves recorded material and group work delivered via web (virtual learning environment), email and message boards that are then posted on online forums. In such cases, students ideally complete the course at their own pace (within the 5 weeks), by using the internet as a support tool rather than at specific online classes in real time.
Studying online is a first for many people. This course will help you discover the skills required for online study and evaluate your own study skillset. You’ll also experience online communities and how you benefit from flexible study arrangements while still being supported by dedicated tutors. Studying online takes advantage of technology to simulate or improve upon traditional methods of teaching.
We use a number of innovative tools to support your learning, whilst studying with us, at the centre of which is Brightspace. Brightspace brings together learners, tutors and learning materials in a simple to use web based learning management system which many students tell us is the easiest study platform they have used. Brightspace is designed to give you easy access to everything you need to complete your studies whilst enabling you to interact with your fellow learners and be part of the wider LSTM community. Brightspace is mobile friendly and supports you even in low bandwidth settings.
LSTM also has a number of other technologies available which enable you to access video based learning resources (Panopto), easily study on your tablet device even whilst offline (Binder) and work effectively online with your peers (Wiggio). Each of these technologies has been designed to be user friendly and intuitive to use and you will have a dedicated team of staff to support you in the use of these. You will also have an Office 365 account and be able to download the latest version of Microsoft Office for the duration of your studies.
Please press APPLY and follow onscreen instructions