Seven Tales, Seven Principles: Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
To celebrate 50 years of Fundamental Principles, the ICRC, the International Federation of Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (International Federation) and the Austrian Red Cross (ARC) hosted a celebratory public event on 7 October 2015 at the Embassy of Italy in Vienna.
Over the past century and a half, the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement has spearheaded the elaboration and implementation of the principles guiding humanitarian action. Since they have been proclaimed 50 years ago in Vienna, several of the Movement's Fundamental Principles have been enshrined in UN resolutions, as well as in State commitments and statements of numerous aid agencies.
On the occasion of this anniversary, the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is pleased to invite the public to follow the celebrations in Vienna. On the night of October 7th, 2015, seven participants delivered inspirational speeches about why these principles matter, and how they affect everything from life-and-death decisions to day-to-day experiences.
This public event was part of ICRC's Research and debate cycle on principles guiding humanitarian action, which aimed, in the days preceding the 32nd Red Cross Red Crescent International Conference, and in the run-up to the World Humanitarian Summit (WHS) in 2016, to foster a global discussion around principled humanitarian action. The October 7th evening conference was also part of broader two-day reflection organized by ARC, IFRC and ICRC, bringing together components of the Movement, as well as states, humanitarian organizations and other interested stakeholders
Master of Ceremonies
- Ms. Claire Schocher-Döring, Head the Restoring Family Links Section, Austrian Red Cross
- H.E. Mr. Sebastian Kurz, Austria's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Integration
- Ms. Sirozah Kardan, Volunteer, Syrian Arab Red Crescent (TBC)
- Prof. Fausto Pocar, President of the International Institute of Humanitarian Law, and Appeals Judge and former President of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
- Ms. Elena Ajmone Sessera, Operations Coordinator for the Americas, ICRC
- Lieutenant-Colonel Tammy Tremblay, Legal Advisor, Canadian Armed Forces
- Mr. Abdullahi Ahmed, Cultural Mediator, Italian Red Cross
- Dr. Greg Arnold, Singer-songwriter, Producer and Lecturer
Anyone interested in the Red Cross Red Crescent's legacy to the international community may tune in to a live retransmission on this webpage: https://www.icrc.org/en/event/seven-tales-seven-principles-celebrating-5...
Watch the event here: https://www.icrc.org/en/event/seven-tales-seven-principles-celebrating-5...