Tuvalu: Cyclone Nina - Jan 1993
Most read reports
- Oxfam: The future is here: climate change in the Pacific. 27 Jul 2009
- UN DGC: Press conference by Alliance of Small Island States on climate change. 10 Jul 2009
- USAID: Asia and Pacific - Preparedness and Mitigation Programs Fact Sheet #1, Fiscal Year (FY) 2008. 30 Sep 2008
- UN DHA: Tuvalu Cyclone Nina Jan 1993 DHA-UNDRO Situation Report 1. 5 Jan 1993
- Govt. New Zealand: NewZAID No. 71, Jul 2010: Peru, Vanuatu, Tuvalu. 31 Jul 2010
New Zealand provides kitchen kits for Peruvian families
Following the serious flooding in January that affected the southern region of Peru, the New Zealand Aid Programme donated US$100,000 to the World Food Programme (WFP).
WFP representative Beatriz Yermanos visited the affected area in June and expressed gratitude to the New Zealand Government for its support. New Zealand's contribution has helped to purchase kitchen kits containing pots, serving spoons, tea pots, cups, dishes, cutlery and buckets to store water.
New report on climate change impacts in the Pacific highlights need for action now
An Oxfam report published today highlights that Pacific Islanders are already feeling the effects of climate change and need greater support to address the dramatic effects in the region.
The Future is Here: climate change in the Pacific documents how people are facing increasing food and water shortages, dealing with rising cases of malaria, coping with more frequent flooding and storm surges, losing land and being forced from their homes.
In response to the announcement that leaders of the Major Economies Forum had agreed to hold rising temperatures to no more than 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, the Alliance of Small Island States (AOSIS) today reaffirmed its call for short- and medium-term targets that would limit increases to below 1.5 degrees Celsius.
Addressing a Headquarters press conference on climate change, Dessima M.
U.S. AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
BUREAU FOR DEMOCRACY, CONFLICT, AND HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE (DCHA)
05JAN93-6982 LMURPHY tuvalu.cyclone.jan93
TUVALU - CYCLONE 'NINA'
DHA-UNDRO SITUATION REPORT NO.1
5 JANUARY 1993
1. ON 3 JANUARY 1993, TROPICAL CYCLONE 'NINA' SEVERELY AFFECTED TUVALU (TOTAL POPULATION APPROX. 8,500). STRONG WINDS OF UP TO 70 KNOT S WERE REPORTED THROUGHOUT THE TUVALU GROUP. HIGH SEAS FROM THE WESTERN SIDE ALSO CAUSED FLOODING OF THE MAIN VILLAGES
OF FIVE OF THE OUTER ISLANDS: NANUMEA, NANUMAGA, NIUTAO, NUI AND VAITUPU.