India: Cyclone - Nov 1996
Most read reports
- Reuters: India Cyclone Death Toll May Exceed 2,000. 11 Nov 1996
- IFRC: India: Cyclone IFRC situation report no. 2. 21 Nov 1996
- UN DHA: India Cyclone Information Report No.2 . 15 Nov 1996
- UN DHA: India Cyclone Information Report No.1. 11 Nov 1996
- IFRC: India: Cyclone : IFRC situation report no. 1. 13 Nov 1996
appeal no. 20/96 period covered: 14th - 20th November 1996
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0489
preliminary appeal no. 20/96 situation report no. 01 period covered: 8th - 13th November 1996
EAST GODAVARI, India (Reuter) - A brutal cyclone that struck the southeastern coast of India may have killed more than 2,000 people, twice as many as previously thought, local reports said on Sunday.
The Asian Age newspaper reported that more that 2,000 inhabitants of fishing villages were feared to have died in the devastating winds, rain and tidal waves that lashed the coast four days ago.
A statement issued on Sunday by V. Veera Raju, president of a local fishermen's organisation, also said 2,000 men and 150 boats were missing.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0482