Burundi: Floods - Feb 1989
Most read reports
- ICRC: Burundi: traditional midwives assist women victims of violence. 6 Mar 2003
- UN DHA: Burundi - Floods Feb 1989 UNDRO Situation Reports 1-2. 20 Feb 1989
- UN DHA: Burundi - Inondations Fev 1989 UNDRO Rapports de Situation 1-2. 27 Feb 1989
"It was the middle of the night and I was asleep. Suddenly, I heard a noise. Our houses don't have any doors, so I got up to investigate. That's when a bright light was shone in my face, blinding me and preventing me from seeing my attackers. But I know there were two of them. For several weeks afterwards, it hurt to urinate but I was too ashamed to go and see a doctor."
UNDRO RAPPORT DE SITUATION NO 1
17 FEVRIER 1989
1. LE 2 FEV, VIOLENT ORAGE ET PLUIES TORRENTIELLES SE SONT ABATTUS SUR VALLEE BUJUMBURA. AMPLEUR DES DEGATS: 7 MORTS, 5 DISPARUS, 3 600 SINISTRES, ENVIRON 1000 MAISONS DETRUITES, ROUTES RELIANT BUJUMBURA AU RESTE DU PAYS INACCESSIBLES. CULTURES VIVRIERES ENDOMMAGEES: 750 HA RIZ, 570 HA COTON, 600 HA HARICOTS ET 800 HA ARACHIDES.
UNDRO SITUATION REPORT NO. 1
20 FEBRUARY 1989
1. ON 2 FEBRUARY VIOLENT THUNDER-STORM FOLLOWED BY TORRENTIAL RAINS HIT BUJUMBURA PROVINCE. OFFICIAL DAMAGE ESTIMATE: 7 DEAD, 5 MISSING, 3,600 AFFECTED ABOUT 1,000 HOUSES DESTROYED AND MAJOR ROAD LINKING BUJUMBURA WITH REST OF COUNTRY CUT. AGRICULTURAL DAMAGE: 750 HA RICE, 570 HA COTTON, 600 HA BEANS 800 HA GROUND NUTS.