Sudan: Floods - Aug 1996
Most read reports
- PANAPress: Sudan Launches Fund Raising Drive For Flood Victims. 7 Sep 1996
- UN DHA: Sudan: Floods Situation Report No.5. 9 Oct 1996
- PANAPress: Floods Kill More Than 100 People In Southern Sudan. 23 Oct 1996
- UN DHA: Sudan - Floods Situation Report No. 2, 20 August 1996. 20 Aug 1996
- UN DHA: Sudan - Floods Situation Report No. 3, 2 September 1996. 2 Sep 1996
KHARTOUM, Sudan (PANA) - Floods and torrential rains have killed 102 persons and rendered 8,000 homeless in southern Sudan, a government official said Wednesday.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0415
Over the past eight weeks, extensive floods and heavy rains have left at least 18 people dead in Sudan. More than 47,000 people are homeless and another 75,000 had their homes partially destroyed.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0354
KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) -- Surging waters swept through shantytowns near the Sudanese capital, killing dozens of people and leaving thousands homeless, Sudanese television reported Monday.
The floods were the latest to devastate the poor region around Khartoum, where the White Nile and Blue Nile converge.
From Yahya El Hassan; PANA Correspondent
KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) - Flash floods swept through a region north of Khartoum, washing out railways and bridges and leaving 15 people dead and thousands homeless.
The floods struck Monday following two hours of heavy rain. Witnesses arriving at the town of al-Geili about 36 miles north of Khartoum said they saw bodies washed up on the shores of the Nile.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0299
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0286
APPEAL FOR ASSISTANCE
1. GOVT OF SUDAN HAS ISSUED APPEAL FOR INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE, FOLLOWING FLOODS IN CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN SUDAN.
KHARTOUM, Sudan (PANA) - Floods have destroyed some 326 houses and left thousands homeless in Sudan's Kitaina province, some 60 kms south of Khartoum, following two days of heavy rain at the weekend.
DAKAR, Senegal (PANA) - The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Tuesday started airdropping urgently needed food rations to an initial 15,000 people severely affected by unprecedented floods in Pochalla, southern Sudan.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0274