Yemen: Floods - Jun 1996
Most read reports
- UN DHA: Yemen Floods - DHA-Geneva Situation Report No 6, 4 July 1996. 4 Jul 1996
- FAO: Foodcrops and shortages No.3 , May/June 1996 . 20 Jun 1996
- UN DHA: Yemen Heavy Rains - Floods, DHA-Geneva Situation Report No 2, 20 June 1996. 20 Jun 1996
- UN DHA: Yemen Floods - DHA-Geneva Situation Report No 5, 28 June 1996. 28 Jun 1996
- ReliefWeb: Yemen Flood Disaster areas. 11 Jul 1996
1. THE GOVERNMENT PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING UPDATE OF DAMAGE ASSESSMENTS:
- DEATHS: 338
- HOMELESS FAMILIES: 22,842
- DESTROYED HOUSES: 1,820
- DESTROYED/DAMAGED HEALTH CENTRES: 43
- DESTROYED/DAMAGED SCHOOLS: 53.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0184
1. ALTHOUGH THE ASSESSMENT STILL CONTINUES, THE FOLLOWING DAMAGE ESTIMATES HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED BY THE GOVERNMENT:
DHAGVA - 96/0181
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0179
1. THE GOVERNMENT PROVIDED UPDATED INFORMATION ON THE IMPACT OF THE DISASTER IN FIVE AFFECTED GOVERNORATES AS FOLLOWS:
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0178
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0175
1. RAIN IN THE AFFECTED AREA HAS STOPPED AND RECURRENCE OF FLASH FLOODS IS NOT EXPECTED FOR THE NEXT TWO TO THREE DAYS. THE DEATH TOLL HAS RISEN AND A NUMBER OF PEOPLE ARE REPORTED MISSING. MOST AREAS AFFECTED BY THE FLOODS REMAIN INACCESSIBLE.
Heavy rains from 14 to 16 June resulted in floods which caused heavy damage to several villages and towns across the country. Initial reports indicate that about 80 people were killed, large numbers of homes were totally destroyed or damaged and thousands of hectares of agricultural land were submerged. The damage to infrastructures was also severe. The Government declared the Governorates of Mareb, Aljawf, Hadhramaut and Shabwah disaster areas and on 17 June made an appeal to the international community for humanitarian assistance.
Ref: DHAGVA - 96/0174