Haiti: Tropical Storm - Nov 1994
Most read reports
- OCHA: Haiti - Tropical Storm Tracks and Major Storm Effects on Haiti 1994 - 2010 (as of 18 Feb 2010). 18 Feb 2010
- UNDP: Haiti: National disaster plan promotes local community involvement. 9 Jan 2003
- UN DHA: Haiti Tropical Storm Nov 1994 UN DHA Situation Reports 1 - 7. 15 Nov 1994
During the 20th century, Haiti was hit by more than 16 cyclones, 25 floods, 7 droughts and a disastrous earthquake. Haiti's geographic location in the Caribbean, and the ongoing political and economic crisis have been the root causes for the country's high level of vulnerability. After Hurricane Georges in 1998, where nearly 200 people were killed, UNDP, in close cooperation with other international donors, UN agencies and multilateral and bilateral donors, initiated support to the government with three main objectives:
HAITI - TROPICAL STORM
DHA-GENEVA INFORMATION REPORT NO. 1
15 NOVEMBER 1994
1. TROPICAL STORM GORDON CAUSED HEAVY RAINS, FLOODING AND MUDSLIDES, IN PARTICULAR IN SOUTHERN PART OF THE COUNTRY.
2. PRELIMINARY REPORTS INDICATED ALMOST 50 DEAD, DAMAGE TO HOUSING, ELECTRICAL SUPPLY SYSTEM AND ROAD NETWORK.
3. SO FAR, GOVERNMENT HAS NOT REQUESTED UNDHA TO LAUNCH AN APPEAL FOR INTERNATIONAL ASSISTANCE.
+ DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS - GENEVA +
TELEPHONE NO. +41-22/917.12.34