Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan: Dam Burst - Jul 1998
Most read reports
- ICRC: Uzbekistan/Kyrgyzstan Floods. 14 Jul 1998
- Reuters: Death toll in Uzbek Flood hits 93, could go higher. 13 Jul 1998
- OCHA: Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan - Dam Burst - Disaster Situation Report No. 2. 14 Jul 1998
- OCHA: Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan - Dam Burst - Disaster Situation Report No. 1. 9 Jul 1998
- Reuters: Kyrgyzstan failed to give Uzbeks flood warning. 13 Jul 1998
Five to six hundred people are still missing and feared dead, and many more are homeless after the Ak Su and Shahimardan rivers burst their banks on the Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan border on the night of 8 July 1998.
BISHKEK, July 13 (Reuters) - Inhabitants in east Uzbekistan, hit last week by deadly floods, were not warned of the threat of disaster by neighbouring Kyrgyzstan's weather service because of the absence of cash, a Kyrgyz official said on Monday.
At least 93 people have been killed so far in Uzbekistan's vast Fergana Valley region, defence and health ministry sources in the former Soviet republic said, while around 14,000 people have been evacuated.
Officials say thawing ice and snow in a mountainous area of neighbouring Kyrgyzstan caused a lake to overflow, adding to water …
TASHKENT, July 13 (Reuters) - Ninety-three people have been killed in heavy flooding in Uzbekistan but the real death toll could be much higher, officials said on Monday.
"Ninety-three corpses have been delivered to morgues," said an officer from the Uzbek Defence Ministry's rescue detachment.
Ref: OCHAGVA - 98/0238