Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe to relocate people affected in demolition campaign

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
HARARE, Jul 21, 2005 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- The Zimbabwean government is to close camps where families affected by a recent mass demolition campaign had been settled by the end of the week, and relocation has already started, a minister said Thursday.
Local Government, Public Works and Urban Development Minister Ignatious Chombo said on Thursday the government had started relocating families from Caledonia farm transit camp to the suburb of Hatcliffe where 3,100 surveyed housing stands with sewer and water reticulation pipes had been prepared.

The same exercise was being done in Bulawayo and Mutare, he added.

The government has set aside three trillion dollars (about 300 million US dollars) for the reconstruction after the controversial demolition campaign, which saw local authorities and the police demolishing illegal accommodation and business structures in the country's urban areas. The move has incurred outcries from western countries, and the African Union and United Nations both sent envoy to investigate.

Chombo said the government would allow families being relocated to Hatcliffe to put up outbuilding structures for a year while they constructed main houses.

The government would provide roofing asbestos and also construct two roomed core houses, Chombo said, adding the government planned to construct 300,000 houses by end of the year.

He said all those affected by the clean-up campaign had been allocated stands and urged anyone left out to apply for stands through local authorities.

The minister said street kids would be relocated to rehabilitation centers.