Having regard to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC) No. 1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid, and in particular Articles 2 and 15(2) thereof,
(1) Commission Decision C/2009/6271, adopted on 5 August 2009, provides for the funding of humanitarian aid actions in Zimbabwe from the general budget of the European Union for a total amount of EUR 9,000,000 from budget article 23 02 02 starting from 1 July 2009, with a duration of 18 months.
(2) There is need for continuing and timely support for interventions to address outstanding needs in the area of food security ;
(3) An assessment of outstanding needs and funding available from other EC sources was carried out during an interservice mission to identify a short-term strategy of support for Zimbabwe in July/August 2009 which has resulted in a decision to rebalance the remaining funding available to Zimbabwe between the two humanitarian budget lines in order to reflect the needs in the different sectors ;
(4) Partners continue to submit requests for funding of emergency food security actions ;
(5) It is therefore appropriate to increase the amount of Decision C/2009/6271 by EUR 3,000,000, so as to meet the objectives of the Decision in the best possible way, that is, to safeguard the availability of, and access to, food for vulnerable populations affected by the breakdown of essential social services.
(6) This brings the total amount of Decision C/2009/6271 to EUR 12,000,000 from budget article 23 02 02 of the 2009 general budget of the European Union, taking into account the available budget, other donors' interventions and other factors.
(7) In accordance with Article 17(3) of Council Regulation (EC) No 1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid, the Humanitarian Aid Committee gave a favourable opinion on 27 October 2009.
Article 1(1) of Decision C/2009/6271 is replaced by the following :
"1. In accordance with the objectives and general principles of humanitarian aid, the Commission hereby approves a total amount of EUR 12,000,000 for humanitarian food assistance support for vulnerable populations in Zimbabwe affected by the breakdown of essential social services by using article 23 02 02 of the 2009 general budget of the European Union."
Done at Brussels, [...]
For the Commission
Member of the Commission