Zambia + 1 more

Zambia: DR Congo Refugee Emergency: Mantapala Settlement Fact Sheet - Nchelenge / Kawambwa

Attachments

Background/Context

Set up in early 2018 as an integrated settlement to enable refugees to develop their livelihoods and contribute to the local development of Nchelenge district (Luapula Province), Mantapala started receiving DRC refugees in January 2018 who were being relocated from Kenani Transit Centre after crossing into Zambia mainly through Chiengi district in the last quarter of 2017. The majority of refugees have a farming, trading and artisan background. Mantapala Settlement, situated about 36 km southeast of Nchelenge has about 8,000 hectares in size and capacity to host up to 20,000 individual refugees and host community members. The Government of Zambia, through the Office of the Commissioner for Refugees in the Ministry of Home Affairs, supported by UNHCR and working with UN agencies and other partners, coordinates and leads the emergency response to address the most urgent protection and assistance needs of refugees from the DRC. UNHCR’s role is to lead the support to Government to respond to the emergency by providing protection and humanitarian assistance such as food, shelter, core relief items, and health services to refugees, and to provide a wider range of services including livelihood support and basic education for refugees to live in harmony with local community and contribute to the local economic development.

Major Achievements

  • The settlement has set up elected but voluntary Community leadership and sub-committees in each of the blocks to foster community’s interest in decision making and to participate in the protection services and identification of PSNs and distribution of CRIs to refugees in need. The SGBV groups are working on the prevention of SEA, SGBV and Child protection while the community health volunteers are providing community health sensitization in the community.

  • A registration centre is constructed in Mantapala where new arrivals are biometrically registered and 3,946 Alien Cards were issued by NRPR representing 62.5% of eligible population.

  • A total of 30 kilometres of internal road network with drainage system is constructed to link 20 blocks of the settlement with household plots measuring 30x25 metres each where refugee families are settled.

  • Two Schools (Mantapala-A and Mantapala-B) with a total of 24 classrooms are built to provide basic education to 83% of the enrolled learners out of 6,578 children (395 are Zambians) between 2 to 18 years old and among the total learners 46% are girls . The schools have a total of six permanent toilets to provide sanitation to both pupils and teachers.

  • 51 boreholes are constructed and are supplying fresh water of 423m³/day (423,000 litres per day) or 28.4 litres per day per person to the population while 10 community Pump Minders are trained to monitor the functionality of the boreholes. A total of 2,203 households (about 52%) have constructed latrines for their families while the remaining 48% are using temporary latrines.

  • A temporary clinic with basic equipment and staff from Government is providing health services to the population while a permanent clinic is under construction. Since the on-set of the rains in November 2018, malaria cases are predominant affecting mostly children below five years old and pregnant mothers. UNHCR is distributing mosquito-nets to new arrivals while the health team is providing community Rapid Diagnostic Testing of children under five years old in the settlement. Malnutrition cases are also prevalent affecting about 557 cases (4% of the population) mostly pregnant and lactating women.

  • A total of 1,156 persons (8.3% of the population) are supported with inputs and trainings in various livelihood skills among them are trading at a market in Mantapala while a total of 425 refugees who were allocated 0.5 hectares of farm land each have begun rain-fed farming to support their families.