Yemen Situation Update (13 January 2016)
- OCHA estimates that 21.2 million people – or 82 percent of the population – require humanitarian assistance. According to the organisation latest report,released on 31 December, after 9 months of war, nearly 600 health facilities have stopped functioning due to damages, lack of staff, fuel and supplies. Many public water and sewage corporations closed down, due to lack of fuel.
- Reportedly, the Yemeni government has announced postponing the next round of peace talks for two weeks from the official due date (14 January).
- The Logistics Cluster has presence in Hodeidah.
The latest Access Constraint map as of 05 January is published at: http://www.logcluster.org/map/access-constraints-map-5-january-2016
Al-Hadid Bridge along the Aden – Taizz main route has been destroyed. The route is non accessible. - Road Hodeidah - Sana’a is accessible. Some bridges are destroyed,but alternative routes are available (exact name currently unknown). - The main challenges in access are Sana’a to Marib, due to ongoing fighting, and Sana’a to Aljawf governorate. - Since 9 January, imposed curfew on Aden roads from 20:00 to 05:00 every day.
- Aden airport is operational, with Yemenia flights operating daily. Given the current security situation in Aden, UNHAS cannot operate any flight until further notice.
- Sana’a airport is operational, with international flights operating.
- Hodeidah airport is closed.
Ports status as of 11 January as follows: - Aden: all five ports are operating, with 7 vessels at berth and 6 at anchorage. - Hodeidah: operating with the exception of the container terminal, which can discharge limited numbers of containers using a shore crane. There are 6 vessels, one dhow, at berth and 19 at anchorage. - Saleef: operating with 2 vessel at berth and 5 at anchorage. - Ras Issa: closed due to insecurity in the area. - Mukalla: operating with no vessel at berth and 11 at anchorage. - Mokha: closed since 15 August. - Djibouti: operating but congested with 24 vessels at anchorage waiting to enter the port.