Yemen

Yemen landslide tolls reaches 65, set to rise

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
SANAA, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Yemeni rescue workers have so far recovered the bodies of 65 villagers killed in last week's landslide, and officials said on Tuesday that the toll was set to rise as dozens remain missing.
Rocks slid off a mountain and crushed 27 houses in al-Dhofair village, about 20 km (12 miles) southwest of the capital Sanaa. Eight villagers were pulled out alive from under the rubble, but rescuers said they did not expect to find any more survivors so many days after the disaster.

"We know that more than 100 people were in this village and so far, we have 65 bodies. We're still searching for the remaining bodies," an official said.

The state-owned Saba news agency said the dead included a woman who was planning to get married in a few weeks and several children.

Landslides are rare in Yemen, at the southern tip of the Arabian peninsula, but the country is prone to floods in spring and summer.

Reuters - Thomson Reuters Foundation
For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit https://www.trust.org/alertnet