- WHO Regional Director, Dr Hussein Gezairy, and the WHO Representative in Yemen visited Al Mazarak camps on 27 December to review Health Cluster activities in place to support IDPs.
- UNHCR indicates that the number of IDPs is increasing and has risen to 200,000
- Preparations for Al Mazarak 3 are complete and the first wave of IDPs are expected to arrive within this week. MSF-Spain will provide health services to both the camp and local populations.
- The WHO/MoPHP mobile medical teams and fixed clinic have reported 71,958 consultations since September 2009. No communicable disease outbreaks have been reported from IDP-hosting areas but the risk remains high due to inadequate health services and lack of safe drinking water.
- During the national mass vaccination campaign (12th to 17th Dec. 2009), 5,060 displaced children under five were vaccinated against measles and polio and given vitamin A supplementation and deworming medicine.
- The Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) donated a 20-bed field hospital to the MoPHP, which will be used as a referral hospital for the three camps in Al Mazarak.
- Department of Health Govt. of Yemen reported 99% coverage for polio and measles vaccination during last week campaign (part of National Campaign completed from 12th to 17th Dec. 2009) in Sa'ada (camps and communities), Al-Hashwa, Ketiaf and camps in Baqium districts . The campaign was supported by WHO and UNICEF. For the remaining district response from Al-Hoti is awaited on temporary ceasefire for vaccination.