Strategic Investments for Impact - Global Fund Results Report 2012

Report
from The Global Fund
Published on 27 Sep 2012 View Original

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

KEY RESULTS INCLUDE:

3.6 million people currently receiving antiretroviral therapy

9.3 million people treated for tuberculosis

270 million insecticide-treated nets distributed to protect families from malaria

8.7 million lives saved

  1. The Global Fund Results Report 2012 presents the latest data from recipients of Global Fund grants in 151 countries – as well as the latest evidence of impact on the HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and malaria pandemics, and the most up-to-date information on Global Fund financing. It highlights the continued progress and the scale-up achieved by low- and middle-income countries around the world, made possible by the collaboration and efforts of hundreds of governments, donors, recipients, technical agencies, private companies and civil society organizations.

CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION

  1. The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria was founded in 2002 to attract and disburse additional health resources to those in need. In the last ten years it has helped countries launch unprecedented responses to the three diseases with the aim of reaching the Millennium Development Goals by 2015. Against the backdrop of a global financial crisis, the organization is working to become even more efficient and effective, to focus on greater strategic investment and impact, and to implement an ambitious new strategy for 2012-2016.

CHAPTER 2: RESULTS

  1. The last 18 months have seen continued scale-up of essential, lifesaving interventions across Global Fund-supported programs. The cumulative results by mid 2012 represent a 50 percent increase from the end of 2010 for several interventions, including the treatment of malaria and multidrug-resistant TB, and the prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) – as well as an increase of more than 100 percent for TB/HIV co-infection services.

  2. In 2010, programs supported by the Global Fund accounted for nearly half of all people receiving antiretroviral (ARV) therapy around the world and two-thirds of all TB treatment – as well as a third of all insecticidetreated nets distributed in Africa between 2008 and 2010. The Global Fund’s investments also play an important role in strengthening health and community systems in many countries. This in turn has helped 77 percent of reviewed grants to perform well – while the organization is working with partners and implementers to improve performance in the remaining 23 percent.

CHAPTER 3: IMPACT

  1. Global Fund-supported countries are making good progress toward reducing the burden of HIV, TB and malaria. For all three diseases the coverage of key prevention and treatment interventions is increasing, with associated declines in incidence and mortality being reported. More than half of Global Fund-supported countries are on track to meet international targets for HIV incidence and mortality, as well as for TB incidence, case detection and treatment success. Progress has also been made in recent years for malaria, but further acceleration is needed to reach international targets by 2015. To better support this progress, the Global Fund and partners are developing a new funding model that will enable more strategic investment decisions through enhanced dialogue with applicants and other donors, and the provision of more flexible and predictable funding.
    This will help ensure financing for the right interventions and the right populations in the right countries.

CHAPTER 4: Financing

  1. The Global Fund accounts for 21 percent of the international funding for HIV, 82 percent for TB, and 50 percent for malaria – making it the leading international financier for the three diseases. It will make renewal decisions regarding grants worth US$ 8 billion in 2012 and 2013 alone, and has sufficient funding available to fulfill existing commitments, support strategic reprogramming and enable further scale-up.
    However, additional financing is needed to reach the Millennium Development Goals in three years’ time.

CHAPTER 5: LOOKING FORWARD

  1. The decisions that are made now – by the Global Fund, recipient countries and donors – will determine whether current progress can be maintained and the health-related Millennium Development Goals be met.
    The Global Fund is committed to ensuring that the next ten years surpass the achievements of the previous decade. Implementing the Global Fund Strategy 2012–2016 and reforming the organization will allow the Global Fund to invest more strategically, work more effectively with implementers and partners, and simplify its processes to increase efficiency and value for money. By doing this together, the Global Fund and partners can help to bring closer the collective vision of a world free from the burden of AIDS, TB and malaria