Agenda item 69 (a)
Promotion and protection of human rights: implementation of human rights instruments
Report of the Third Committee*
Rapporteur: Ms. Nicola Hill (New Zealand)
1. At its 2nd plenary meeting, on 18 September 2009, the General Assembly, on the recommendation of the General Committee, decided to include in the agenda of its sixty-fourth session, under the item entitled "Promotion and protection of human rights", the sub-item entitled "Implementation of human rights instruments" and to allocate it to the Third Committee.
2. The Third Committee considered the sub-item at its 20th, 21st, 34th, 41st, 42nd and 47th meetings, on 20 and 29 October and on 12 and 24 November 2009. An account of the Committee's consideration is contained in the relevant summary records (A/C.3/64/SR.20, 21, 34, 41, 42 and 47).
3. For the documents before the Committee under this sub-item, see document A/64/439.
4. At the 20th meeting, on 20 October, the Director of the New York Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights made an introductory statement (see A/C.3/64/SR.20).
5. At the same meeting, the Chairperson of the Committee against Torture made a presentation and engaged in a dialogue with the representatives of Chile, China, Egypt, Sweden (on behalf of the European Union) and Ethiopia.
6. The Chairperson of the Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture made a presentation and engaged in a dialogue with the representatives of Mexico, Sweden (on behalf of the European Union), Switzerland, Costa Rica, Turkey, the Czech Republic and Chile.
7. The Special Rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment made a presentation and engaged in a dialogue with the representatives of Sweden (on behalf of the European Union), Austria, China, Switzerland, the Syrian Arab Republic, the United States of America, Uruguay, Liechtenstein, Botswana, Nigeria, New Zealand, Brazil, Togo, the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya and Cuba.