The following syndromes have been flagged:
· Diarrhoea: Tonga
· Influenza-like illness: French Polynesia, Tonga
· Prolonged Fever: Tonga
· Chuuk State, Federated States of Micronesia has been declared a state of emergency after a category 5 super typhoon struck the island resulting in five deaths. The typhoon has since weakened and is expected to reach the Philippines this weekend.
Tropical Cyclone Pam
· Severe Tropical Cyclone (TC) Pam struck Vanuatu on 13-14 March 2015 causing severe widespread damage. As of 28 March there have been 158000 people affected in 21 islands, 11 fatalities. (Source: United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs).
· One week into Tuvalu's declaration of a State of Emergency, details of TC Pam's impacts on outer islands remain sketchy. Lack of power and communication on the outer islands has hampered information flow from the islands, however initial reports suggest that Nui, Nukufetau, Nanumaga and to a lesser extent other outer islands, have been substantially impacted by heavy seas and storm surge.
· For more information please refer to Cyclone Pam update
· Chikungunya outbreak is on-going in Cook Islands. Weekly number of cases in American Samoa, Kiribati and Samoa have reduced significantly.
· Cook Islands -233 cases were reported since Nov ember 2014 to 15 March 2015. The cases were confirmed by the Institut Louis Malarde (ILM), French Polynesia. There were 37 cases reported in the week ending 29 March 2015. The weekly number of cases is increasing. There have been no associated hospitalisations or deaths reported.
· Kiribati- As of 26 March 2015, 13,309 cases were reported. There have been no associated hospitalisations or deaths. The outbreak appears to be waning.
· Dengue outbreak is occurring in the Macuata Province, Northern Health Division, Fiji. Dengue serotype-2 has been identified by the ILM, French Polynesia
· French Polynesia. There were 16 confirmed cases for week ending 15 March 2015. Dengue serotype-1 has been identified. There have been eight hospitalised cases in March. The hospitalisation rate is 22.5%
· Tonga dengue serotype-3 has been identified by Labplus, Auckland, New Zealand. There have been 142 dengue-like illness cases for week ending 29 March 2015.
· French Polynesia: seasonal epidemic increasing throughout the country predominantly Influenza A (H3N2).
· French Polynesia – There has been 1 case for the week ending 22 March 2015. There have been a total of 42 cases since early January 2015.
· There are measles outbreaks ongoing in Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu.
· A measles immunization campaign supported by WHO and UNICEF continues in Port Vila and Efate province, Vanuatu following TC Pam. Targeted population for measles mass vaccination campaign is 10, 500 (with vitamin A distribution and deworming), and 7500 vaccinated as of 26 March 2015.