• Global food prices are in a phase of relative stability, with the FAO Food Price Index remaining between 210 and 212 points over recent months. Early prospects for 2013 cereal and rice production are mostly favourable.
• The impact of price changes on the cost of a basic food basket was severe in only two countries (Syria and South Sudan) of 69 monitored by WFP during the fourth quarter of 2012. The purchasing power of people in Syria has deteriorated sharply.
• Despite relatively favourable food security conditions and outlooks, 36 countries around the world are in need of external food assistance. The food security situations in South Sudan, Central African Republic and Syria are of particular concern.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.