World + 1 more

Constant increase in resources for NGO initiatives

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

With some EUR 65m committed for 71 new projects, AFD’s financing to support the initiatives of civil society organizations continued to increase in 2015. The main objectives remain the same: strengthen civil societies in the South and development education in France.

2015: A year which structured AFD-NGO relations

On 29 January 2016, the annual meeting was held between Anne Paugam, Chief Executive Officer of AFD, and the Board of Directors of the NGO platform Coordination Sud. It provided the opportunity to take stock of the relations between AFD and civil society organizations (CSOs: NGOs, trade unions and non-profit foundations) over the past year. “2015 was a very structural year for this partnership, both in terms of financial cooperation and strategic dialogue” explained Marie-Odile Waty, Head of the NGO Partnership Division at AFD.

59 French NGOs and 607 CSOs in the South supported

With EUR 64.7m committed for 71 new projects, AFD’s financing to support CSO initiatives increased in 2015, in line with the announcements made by the French President that this budget would be doubled during his five-year term. 59 French CSOs and their 607 CSO partners in the South have consequently received support. Projects implemented in the field in Southern countries accounted for 87% of financing, with Africa given high priority. The remaining 13% supported projects to structure associations and development education organizations in France.

In-depth strategic dialogue has led to greater account being taken of needs in the field

In addition to financing, AFD has also strengthened its dialogue with CSOs. The aim is to improve transparency and accountability, as well as grievance management, but also dialogue with CSOs about their advocacy campaigns.