Appeal target (current): CHF 2,475,768 (USD 2.2m or EUR 1.7)
Appeal coverage: 56%
- This Emergency Appeal was initially launched on 7 April 2009 to assist approximately 25 million children under 5 years of age in 14 countries affected by the polio outbreak for four months.
- Operations Update (no. 1) issued 14 May 2009 added emergency campaigns in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone to the Appeal, and the budget was provisionally revised to just over CHF 2.4m.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF): CHF 357,842 was initially allocated from the Federation's DREF to support emergency response campaigns in March (Benin, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, and Mali) and April (Central African Republic and Democratic Republic of the Congo). CHF 235,888 was allocated from the Federation's DREF to support the emergency response campaign in April in Kenya.
- Global Measles & Polio Initiative: CHF 160,000 was initially allocated from the Health and Care Department's Global Measles & Polio Initiative to support activities in four countries during February and March (Cote d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Niger, and Togo).
- Operations Update (no. 2) issued 24 June 2009 focussed specifically on the action in Togo carried out from 27-29 March 2009.
- Operations Update (no. 3) issued 3 August 2009 provided details of 13 National Society campaign activities occurring since the first Operations Update (no. 1) issued in May 2009.
- This Operations Update (no. 4) serves to extend the Appeal timeframe on an exceptional basis due to unanticipated challenges in rolling out activities in South Sudan as well efforts to clear outstanding financial balances so that consolidated preliminary Final Reports (narrative and financial) can be issued as soon as possible. This update therefore conveys a no cost extension with a revised timeline (for each appeal) of 29 February 2010. The final Appeal report will therefore be available at the end of February 2009, reflecting the implementation of all planned activities.