Viet Nam - Typhoon OCHA Situation Report No. 1
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Vietnam - Typhoon
13 November 2001
1. Yesterday, 12 November, central Vietnam was hit by Typhoon Lingling after it had left the Philippines area. Due to effective early warning and preparation by Central and Provincial authorities, including evacuation of the vulnerable population, it was possible to mitigate against the damage caused by the typhoon. Phu Yen and Binh Dinh Provinces are the worst hit. So far, only Phu Yen, Binh Dinh, Quang Ngai, and Quang Tri Provinces have provided official damage reports.
2. According to the Central Committee for Flood and Storm Control (CCFSC), as of late 12 November, the typhoon had caused 20 casualties and 83 injured. 562 families have been evacuated and the Provincial authorities are providing food and shelter to these families. 2,636 houses have been destroyed while more than 12,000 houses have been damaged. Approximately 650 schools have been destroyed or damaged. Close to 30,000 ha of rice paddy and other crops have been ruined. Irrigation, transportation, electricity and fishery sectors have also been affected. Some 145 boats have reportedly been washed away.
3. While the affected population in the Central Provinces are starting to rebuild their livelihoods, in numbers of places, mainly the coastal districts of Hue Province, some people are faced with the threat of landslides and a sharp increase in river water levels due to heavy rain associated with the storm. As a mitigation measure, around 1,000 people in Hue Province are being resettled.
4. The typhoon has now dissipated.
5. No appeal for international assistance has been received by OCHA to date.
6. OCHA is in contact with the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Hanoi, which is monitoring the situation.
Telephone: +41-22-91712 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. J. McGoldrick / Mr. R. Mueller / Mr. S. Matsuka /Mr. K.Quiding
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 1712 / 3131 / 4034 / 1769
(GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) - Ms. P. Lee, direct Tel. +1-212-963 48 32