AHA Centre Flash Update #1 - Tropical Storm Kirogi (31)
Countries at Risk
- Vietnam (VN), landfall est. 19 Nov 2017
- Cambodia (KH), landfall est. 20 Nov 2017
Key Infrastructures at Risk
- Nha Trang Int’l Airport / NHA (VN)
- Cam Ranh Int’l Airport / CXR (VN)
- Van Phong Port (VN)
- Nha Trang Port (VN)
Characteristics of Risk
- The affected population is classified as high risk (ASEAN Multi Hazard Risk Index).
- Tropical Storm Damrey (28) had made landfall on 4 Nov 2017 with most damages sustained in Khanh Hoa, Binh Dinh and Phu Yen.
- Storm surges and cold snaps had affected Quang Ngai, Quang Nam and Thua Thien Hue with extensive flooding.
- Storm surges are expected with sea levels rising between 2-4m and 5-6m in the eye of the storm.
Preparedness & Response measures underway
- Authorities have communicated with fishing vessels to move them inshore after learning lessons from Tropical Storm Damrey.
- Flood warning between 19-24 Nov have been issued with likely floods on the rivers from Ha Tinh to Binh Thuan, in the Central Highlands and Dong Nai.
- Agricultural, aquaculture and herding activities will continue to be disrupted. Relief efforts are still underway.
- Vulnerable population living in dangerous, coastal and lowland areas are being evacuated.
- Local authorities have designed specific plans to reinforce house of locals in mountainous and coastal regions with ready plans for evacuation.