Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2000/0212
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Venezuela - Floods
16 November 2000
State of Alert declared in eleven states
1. Following days of incessant heavy rains, the Government of Venezuela declared on 15 November 2000 a state of alert in 11 states, including the State of Vargas.
2. The northern region has been particularly affected, including the states of Vargas and Sucre. The rivers of Caoma, Piache, Curucuti, Seca, Piedra Azul, El Cojo, San Julian, Cerro Grande, Tacagua and Picure have overflown their banks and thousands of people have been affected. In the State of Vargas, one of the most affected by the floods and mudslides of December 1999, the ground is still quite eroded and moist, which could provoke landslides.
3. The National Civil Defense has provided OCHA, through the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Caracas, with a breakdown per state, which will be available upon request.
4. According to the Venezuelan national press, the President of the Republic has established a presidential commission, chaired by the Vice-President of the Republic, which will coordinate the response to this emergency. Some VEB 18 billion (approximately USD 26 million) has been allocated for this emergency, of which VEB eight billion (approximately USD 11.5million) for the state of Vargas. As a precautionary measure, the authorities are evacuating people from areas at risk.
Request for international assistance
5. The Government has not requested OCHA to launch an appeal for international assistance.
6. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 1234;
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-9172010
Desk Officers: Mr. Erik Haegglund/Mr.
Carlos Pereira/Ms. Masayo Kondo
direct tel: +41-22-917 32 99/13 83/19 97
Press contact: Mr. D. Kiniger-Passigli, direct tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.