THE PERMANENT COUNCIL OF THE ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN STATES,
ACKNOWLEDGING that natural disasters have a substantial negative impact on the social and economic development of the peoples of the Americas;
PROFOUNDLY CONCERNED at the loss of so many human lives, grave social consequences, economic devastation, and damage to property, infrastructure and especially housing caused by the incessant rains, floods, and mudslides that have hit Venezuela;
TAKING INTO ACCOUNT the condolences and observations of the Permanent Representatives and Permanent Observers to the OAS on the current emergency in Venezuela;
BEARING IN MIND the recent creation of the Inter-American Committee for Natural Disaster Reduction (CIRDN); and
HAVING LISTENED to the statement by the Permanent Representative of Venezuela to the OAS on the human tragedy and material damage wrought by this natural disaster in Venezuela,
1. To express deep sorrow and solidarity with the government and people of Venezuela for the loss of lives and property.
2. To express deep gratitude to Member States, the Permanent Observers, all bodies within the inter-American system, international financial institutions, civil society organizations, and the international community in general for both the assistance accorded the government and people of Venezuela and all rescue efforts in the wake of the disaster.
3. To urge Member States, the Permanent Observers, all bodies within the inter-American system, international financial institutions, civil society organizations, and the international community in general to continue contributing to the rescue, rehabilitation, and reconstruction efforts under way in the affected areas.
4. To ask the Secretary General to continue, as a matter of urgency, taking the necessary steps, especially with the competent international and inter-American agencies, such as the Inter-American Committee for Natural Disaster Reduction (CIRDN), to provide technical and financial support for Venezuela and to obtain the supplementary resources needed to cope with the situation now facing the government and people of Venezuela.
5. To disseminate this resolution as widely and urgently as possible.